SEASON 2018/2019


Queen’s Park 0-2 Peterhead | BLUE TOON LEAGUE 2 CHAMPIONS

Sat 04 May 2019

Queen’s Park 0-2 Peterhead | BLUE TOON LEAGUE 2 CHAMPIONS

Queen’s Park 0-2 Peterhead




Celebrations at the national stadium as Peterhead clinched the League 2 title with a fine 2-0 victory against Queen’s Park.

Jack Leitch made the difference.  The attacking midfielder has chipped in with some important goals during the run-in but none more so than his first half double, which ensured there would be no Hampden heartache.

Leitch headed in a Jamie Stevenson cross in the 26th minute to settle any Blue Toon nerves.

The former Airdrie youngster scored again just before half time, rounding off a neat move involving Scott Brown and Ryan Dow to put the visitors firmly in command.

Following last week’s dramatic finish when Peterhead agonisingly conceded a stoppage time equaliser against Stirling Albion, they were determined to get the job done at the second attempt.

Therefore, the second half was about seeing the game out and that was achieved with minimal fuss in front of around 200 visiting fans, who made up the near 1,000 attendance.

Huge congratulations to Jim McInally, his staff and his team.

10 months of hard work was well worth it.  League 1 football beckons – once the title party is over!

Cruel ending for Peterhead denies title triumph on home turf

Sat 27 Apr 2019

Cruel ending for Peterhead denies title triumph on home turf

Peterhead 1-1 Stirling Albion


A cruel, crushing ending saw Peterhead concede in stoppage time to deny them the chance to win the League 2 title with a game to spare.

The Blue Toon were well on course to be crowned champions in front of their own fans.

Jack Leitch’s first half strike looked like being enough against a Stirling side that hardly had an effort on goal.

But the Binos levelled in the 93rd minute through substitute Peter Macdonald leaving the near 1,400 supporters inside Balmoor stunned and sickened.

It’s not over though. Far from it.  Peterhead do still have another opportunity to pick up the trophy against Queen’s Park at Hampden.

A draw, barring an incredibly high-scoring win for Clyde at Cowdenbeath, will still be enough and that needs to be remembered.

Yes, it would have been fitting to get the job done and party on home territory but the national stadium is not the worst second-best.

The Blue Toon faithful began to believe it was their day when Leitch scored eight minutes before half-time.

Cammy Thomson misplaced a pass and the ball fell the way of Leitch, who drove forward and after playing a neat one-two with Rory McAllister, he slotted past Callum Ferrie from eight yards.

Leitch was unlucky not to score again moments into the second half when, after a clipped pass from Jamie Stevenson, he spun in the box and shot just wide.

The biggest and best chance for a killer, title-winning second fell for substitute Shane Sutherland with 20 minutes left.  The forward had only just entered the pitch when he volleyed a Scott Brown cross over from very close range.

It was another sub who had the final say, Macdonald turning in a Darren Smith delivery just seconds before the referee blew up for full time.


Fleming, Stevenson, Eadie, J.Brown, Boyle, Ferry, Gibson, S.Brown, Leitch (Willis 83), Dow (Home 87), McAllister (Sutherland 70)
Unused. Henderson. Lyle. Riley. Willox

Blue Toon record key win at Elgin to move ever nearer title

Sat 20 Apr 2019

Jack Leitch scored the winning goal at Borough Briggs to keep Blue Toon four points clearJack Leitch scored the winning goal at Borough Briggs to keep Blue Toon four points clear



Peterhead moved ever closer to the League 2 title after winning an action-packed match at Elgin.

There was an own goal, a missed penalty and a red card as the Blue Toon picked up a huge three points in Moray.

With Clyde notching an emphatic 5-0 win over basement side Berwick, the gap remains four points but there are now just two games left and one more win will see the Blue Toon crowned champions.

The leaders got their noses in front after just two minutes, Callum Wilson putting through his own net from Ryan Dow’s corner.

In the 18th minute, the scores were level again when Greg Morrison headed Ross McIver’s cross beyond Greg Fleming.

Jack Leitch restored Peterhead’s lead in the 29th minute, neatly slotting past Kyle Gourlay from Rory McAllister’s set-up.

There was still time for more drama before the interval because the hosts were awarded a penalty in the 43rd minute after Morrison went down under Mick Dunlop’s challenge.

McIver failed from the spot though, courtesy of a fine Fleming stop, which preserved Peterhead’s advantage.

The Blue Toon had some opportunities to go further in front in the second half but rather than scoring again, it was vital they did not concede.

Sure enough, they kept the back door tightly shut although they were made to sweat until the final whistle after Dunlop was dismissed for picking up a second yellow card in the last minute.

On to next week, Peterhead know a win over Stirling Albion will get them over the line, regardless of Clyde’s result against Queen’s Park.

Late Albion equaliser denies Blue Toon victory

Sat 13 Apr 2019

Late Albion equaliser denies Blue Toon victory


League 2 leaders Peterhead suffered the agony of conceding a stoppage time goal as Albion Rovers salvaged a draw at Balmoor.

Jack Leitch’s deflected effort had given the Blue Toon the lead but Kevin Harper’s team hit back through a fine Smart Osadolor strike.

The result meant Peterhead’s lead was cut to four points after Clyde scored two late goals at fellow title hopefuls Edinburgh.

Nothing happened in the first half apart from throw-ins, which amounted to 45 by the interval.

But there was action to report in the second period as Peterhead upped the tempo.

Shane Sutherland saw a 50th minute shot headed off the line by Lewis Wilson, with Peter Morrison out of his goal.

However, the Albion goalkeeper did make some fine saves, notably from Jason Brown’s header and then Leitch.

Rory McAllister was introduced from the bench and he played a pivotal role in the Blue Toon’s 64th minute goal.  Scott Brown switched the play superbly and McAllister nodded his cross into the path of Leitch, whose 12 yard shot went in off Gary Phillips.

Osadolor thought he had equalised five minutes later with a back post header, which was well kept out by Greg Fleming.

The warning was there because Osadolor struck in added on time with a fine 22 yard effort after the home team failed to properly clear a throw-in.

Incidentally, the throw-in count ended up at 90.  If only the clock did.


Fleming, Stevenson (Home 74), J.Brown,  Dunlop, Boyle, Ferry, Gibson, S.Brown, Leitch (Willis 80), Dow, Sutherland (McAllister 54)

Unused. Henderson. Eadie. Willox. McDonald

Yellow carded. McAllister. S.Brown

ATT 715

Six goals shared at Broadwood but Blue Toon extend lead at top

Sat 06 Apr 2019

Paul Willis opened his Peterhead account after Willie Gibson’s early free-kickPaul Willis opened his Peterhead account after Willie Gibson’s early free-kick

Clyde 3

Peterhead 3


Peterhead endured a frustrating finish against Clyde but it still turned out to be a decent day for the Blue Toon.

The League 2 leaders had to settle for a draw despite leading 3-1 with 18 minutes remaining.

But with Edinburgh suffering defeat at Cowdenbeath, the point meant Jim McInally’s men actually increased their lead at the top of the table.

Willie Gibson gave the visitors the perfect start with a delightful fourth minute free-kick, which found the top corner.

When Paul Willis scored his first Peterhead goal in the 31st minute with a six-yard strike, Clyde’s prospects appeared bleak.

But Danny Lennon’s team got right back in the match at the start of the second half, David Goodwillie sending a close-range header beyond Greg Fleming.

Scott Brown restored the Blue Toon’s two-goal cushion in the 52nd minute by rifling a shot from outside the box into the bottom corner.

Shane Sutherland then hit the crossbar before Clyde were awarded a 72nd minute penalty when Jason Brown handled the ball.

Goodwillie made no mistake from the spot and Scott Banks drew the Bully Wee level six minutes later with a fine 20 yard curling effort.

The match ended 3-3 but Peterhead will reflect on extending their advantage to six points with now four games left.  It had been five and five.

Nervy win over Cowden keeps Peterhead five points in front

Sat 30 Mar 2019

Scott Brown rises to head in the second half winnerScott Brown rises to head in the second half winner



Three goals scored and three golden opportunities squandered.

That was the match summary as Peterhead dug out a nervy win over Cowdenbeath to maintain their five point advantage at the top.

Rory McAllister opened the scoring in the 27th minute after a long punt forward from Greg Fleming.  Dreadful defending was exposed by the Blue Toon captain, who got in behind the visiting backline to bury a shot past David McGurn.

How Jason Brown did not make it 2-0 moments later was hard to believe.  It was a header from just a few yards out, following a free-kick, which the 22 year old somehow sent wide.

Sure enough Cowden equalised through former Blue Toon man David Cox a minute before half time.  Jordan Allan provided the assist with a superb turn to get away from Paddy Boyle and his low cross was dispatched by the sliding Cox.

Peterhead regrouped at the interval and they went back in front six minutes into the second half.  Boyle crossed for Scott Brown and the midfielder sent a fine 10 yard header high into the net.

Had Ryan Dow not passed up a great chance in the 55th minute, Peterhead would have been comfortable.

Willie Gibson threaded a ball through for Dow and barring the assistant referee, everybody in the stadium, including Dow, seemed to think the flag was coming for offside.  It stayed down but the former Dundee Utd forward shot tentatively at McGurn and it stayed 2-1.

Cowdenbeath could have taken a point after blowing a gilt-edge chance in the closing stages.  Fraser Mullen’s free-kick was saved by the diving Fleming but Robbie Deas could not net the rebound, heading over from six yards.

Peterhead breathed a sigh of relief to stay clear of Edinburgh and their next opponents Clyde.


Fleming, Home, Boyle, Dunlop, J.Brown, S.Brown, Gibson, Leitch (Willox 89), Dow, Sutherland 5 (Willis 71), McAllister (Eadie 76)

Unused. Henderson. Ferry. McCracken

Goalless in Edinburgh but result favours leaders Peterhead

Sat 23 Mar 2019

Goalless in Edinburgh but result favours leaders Peterhead

Edinburgh City 0

Peterhead 0


There were no goals between the top two in the capital but the draw was a more favourable outcome for Peterhead than title rivals Edinburgh.

The sharing of the points maintained the Blue Toon’s cushion at the League 2 summit with another game ticked off.

Rory McAllister had several efforts on target in the first half but he found home goalkeeper Callum Antell in fine form.

Antell also denied Willie Gibson with an effort, which was destined for the top corner.

For Edinburgh, forward Scott Shepherd tested Greg Fleming just before half time.

In addition, Brad Donaldson nodded narrowly wide early in the second period and likewise their leading marksman, Blair Henderson.

But in front of more than 1,000 suppoters, 0-0 was how it ended and the result kept Peterhead five points clear going into the last half a dozen fixtures.

Clyde, meanwhile, scored in stoppage time to edge out Annan and move a point behind Edinburgh.

The Bully Wee, who were recently docked four points for fielding an ineligible player, still have to face the top two before the season is out.

Off night for Toon as Berwick win for first time since November

Tue 19 Mar 2019

Off night for Toon as Berwick win for first time since November



Peterhead conceded two first half goals at Berwick to crash to a first defeat in eight matches in League 2.

Lewis Barr fired Johnny Harvey’s team in front in the 13th minute and Cameron Blues added to their lead on the half hour.

The Blue Toon failed to find a route back into the match and it meant they were unable to extend their lead on title rivals Edinburgh.

Jim McInally’s men scored five on their last visit to Shielfield Park but it was a different story this time round, not helped by the absence of skipper Rory McAllister.

Derek Lyle did start but could not continue after picking up an injury, moments after Barr had smashed a six yard shot past Greg Fleming.

Peterhead were unlucky not to draw level with Brown’s effort which struck the woodwork but they soon found themselves further behind when on loan Livingston midfiedler Blues rifled in Berwick’s second.

There were no further goals after the break as the hosts picked up a first victory since mid November to pull five points clear of basement side Albion Rovers.

A similar points gap remains between Peterhead and Edinburgh as the sides get ready for a key clash at Ainslie Park on Saturday.

Lyle ends goal drought as leaders come from behind again

Sat 09 Mar 2019

Lyle ends goal drought as leaders come from behind again


ATT 568


For the second game in a row, League 2 leaders Peterhead fought back from a goal down to pick up all three ponts.

On Tuesday, Cowdenbeath were the victims.  Here, it was Annan Athletic.

There was not too much between the teams but the Blue Toon’s grit and determination made the difference.

Derek Lyle ended a 10-game goal drought to score the winner after Jack Leitch had wiped out Tony Wallace’s opener.

It kept the Balmoor team five points clear of Edinburgh, who had too miuch for Queen’s Park.

However, Clyde’s title challenge appears to have ended following their four point deduction for fielding an ineligible player coupled with their defeat at Elgin.

Peterhead’s target is just to keep winning and their victory over Annan was their sixth on the bounce.

They did it the hard way though after falling behind in the 21st minute.  Wallace sprinted clear following a lapse from Paddy Boyle and when his initial effort came back to him, the forward stroked in from eight yards.

Neither Greg Fleming or Jason Brown were decisive for the goal but Peterhead recovered well and needed just four minutes to muster a reply.  Shane Sutherland cut the ball back for Leitch and the former Airdrie midfielder rifled a low shot from the edge of the penalty area into the net.

Jim McInally’s team shaded the second half as Sutherland fired wide from an angle before Scott Brown sclaffed off target from 12 yards.

Aidan Smith headed wide for Annan, who picked up an awards double for February with Peter Murphy and Chris Johnston winning the manager and player prizes respectively.

But Peterhead came up with the winner in the 71st minute.  Willie Gibson’s corner was met on the volley by Lyle and after his effort was parried by Aidan McAdams, the 38 year old reacted quickest to prod in the rebound.


Fleming, Gibson, Dunlop, J.Brown, Boyle, Ferry, S.Brown, Leitch, Lyle (Eadie 78), McAllister (Willis 89), Sutherland (Home 71)

Unused. Henderson. Willox. McDonald

Peterhead come from behind at Cowdenbeath to notch fifth straight win

Tue 05 Mar 2019

Peterhead come from behind at Cowdenbeath to notch fifth straight win

Cowdenbeath 1

Peterhead 3


League 2 leaders Peterhead came from behind to win at Cowdenbeath and move five points ahead at the top of the table.

David Cox gave Cowden the lead but Shane Sutherland replied soon after and Rory McAllister then struck to hand the Blue Toon the initiative.

McAllister added another goal deep into the second half to seal the victory, Peterhead’s fifth in succession.

It meant they pulled further in front of Clyde, who were not in action.  Edinburgh, meanwhile, defeated Berwick to reclaim second spot.

The night did not get off to the best of starts for Jim McInally’s side, former Blue Toon player Cox smashing the hosts in front in the 17th minute.

However, Cowden’s lead lasted just six minutes with Sutherland burying a close-range effort to draw the visitors level.

Peterhead turned the match around when McAllister flashed a 35th minute  shot from inside the box high into the net and the Balmoor captain netted again with nine minutes remaining to settle the contest.

Peterhead open up four point gap with Elgin victory

Sat 02 Mar 2019

Peterhead open up four point gap with Elgin victory


ATT 737


Peterhead racked up their third 1-0 win in a week by seeing off Elgin City to open up a four point gap at the top of League 2.

Paddy Boyle was the unlikely matchwinner, the left-back scoring early on to claim his first goal for the club.

The former Airdrie player finished neatly from 16 yards after Rory McAllister pickpocketed Jordan Lowdown to provide the assist.

Derek Lyle could have made it 2-0 after a fine passage of play, which saw Ryan Dow neatly flick the ball into his path from Scott Brown’s centre.

But Elgin should have been level just before half time, Ross MacIver breaking through on goal only to be denied by a fine Greg Fleming save.

That was Peterhead’s only real scare and they went on to see out the second half untroubled.

The visiting goalkeeper Kyle Gourlay did make a couple of impressive saves to keep his team alive in the contest, Jamie Stevenson and Scott Brown both denied for the hosts.

Peterhead’s victory, coupled with Clyde’s win over Edinburgh, meant they extended their advantage at the top of the table.


Fleming, Boyle, J.Brown, Dunlop, Stevenson (Home 77), Gibson, Ferry (Leitch 54), S.Brown, Dow, Lyle (Willis 72), McAllister

Unused. Henderson. Willox. McDonald. Eadie

Peterhead go top with well-deserved Cowdenbeath win

Tue 26 Feb 2019

Peterhead go top with well-deserved Cowdenbeath win



A dominant display saw Peterhead notch a fully-deserved win against Cowdenbeath to replace Edinburgh City as League 2 leaders.

Just one goal separated the teams – Scott Brown’s strike just before half-time – but the Blue Toon could have had a hatful had they been more ruthless.

Regardless, the scoreline was enough to hoist the Buchan team to the summit and it is there where they will be determined to stay in the final third of the season.

Following their 1-0 win at Stirling on Saturday, Peterhead made one change as Willie Gibson dropped to the bench to make way for Jack Leitch.

Shane Sutherland saw an early header hacked off the line by Luc Bollan before the former Elgin man thundered over from 10 yards midway through the half.

Brown forced Aaron Lennox into a smart save with a volley, which kicked up off the turf, but Cowden were unable to get the interval level as Peterhead finally made their dominance count in the 43rd minute.

Rory McAllister found Brown in the box and the former St Johnstone midfielder slid a six yard effort into the roof of the net via a flick off Robbie Deas.

It was scrappy and not in-keeping with Peterhead’s impressive play, which continued in the second half.

Chances continued to flow and the visitors were bizarrely aided by Leitch when the ball hit his body on the line to stop a goalbound effort from substitute Derek Lyle, who also flashed a header wide,

Ryan Dow then nodded wide from inside the six yard box in the 75th minute but while the Blue Toon lacked a killer instinct, they saw out the game with minimal fuss to move two points clear at the top.



Fleming, Stevenson, Dunlop, J.Brown, Boyle, Leitch (Gibson 71), S.Brown, Ferry, Dow, Sutherland (Lyle 62), McAllister (Willis 85)

Unused. Henderson. Willox.  Home. Eadie.

Peterhead continue fine Forthbank form with Stirling win

Sun 24 Feb 2019

Peterhead continue fine Forthbank form with Stirling win

Stirling Albion 0-1 Peterhead


Rory McAllister scored a first half header at Stirling to keep Peterhead on the coat-tails of League 2 leaders Edinburgh.

The Blue Toon captain’s goal separated the sides and the result means Jim McInally’s team can go top on Tuesday with a win over Cowdenbeath.

Jamie Stevenson laid on the winner, running down the flank and crossing for McAllister, who nodded past Cammy Ferrie in the 36th minute.

Shane Sutherland spurned a great chance to double the visitors’ lead after the break when he rounded Ferrie but was unable to steer his shot into the net.

Willie Gibson then saw an effort cleared off the line by Jason Marr but one goal proved enough for Peterhead, who maintained their fine Forthbank record.

Peterhead gain ground after staving off Spiders scare

Sat 16 Feb 2019

Peterhead gain ground after staving off Spiders scare



ATT 615


Peterhead gained ground at the top end of League 2 with a vital victory over Queen’s Park at Balmoor.

Strikes from Shane Sutherland and Willie Gibson gave the Blue Toon the win, which moved them one point behind leaders Edinburgh City.

Sutherland, back at the club and back in the goals, reopened his account in the third minute.

It was all about a good first touch after a fine clipped ball from Jason Brown, which allowed the former Elgin attacker to shoot past Jordan Hart from six yards.

In the 14th minute, Jack Leitch attempted an overhead kick, which went narrowly wide, after unconvincing goalkeeping from Hart and then Sutherland tested the visiting number one from Derek Lyle’s pick-out.

It all seemed to be going to plan but the stubborn Spiders clung on and after an even end to the first half, they got back level four minutes after the interval.

A corner broke into the path of Calvin McCrory and after his 14 yard shot flashed through a ruck of bodies, Scott Gibson scrambled home from close in.

Peterhead’s own Gibson came up with the decisive strike though in the 55th minute to pile the pressure on Edinburgh.

Stevenson’s corner was only partially cleared and Gibson, on at half-time for the injured Leitch, thundered a low 22 yard drive into the bottom corner of the net.


Fleming, Stevenson, Dunlop, J.Brown, Boyle, S.Brown, Leitch (Gibson 46), Dow, Sutherland, McAllister (Home 83), Lyle (Willis 68)

Unused. Henderson. Ferry. Eadie. Willox

Table-topping clash throws up drab draw

Sat 09 Feb 2019

Table-topping clash throws up drab draw



Occasionally you get a decent 0-0 draw but this Balmoor stalemate certainly was not one of them.

Peterhead and Edinburgh City played out a drab encounter to leave the top of League 2 unchanged.

Perhaps the windy conditions contributed to the poor spectacle, or even nerves given the significance of the fixture.

But neither manager offered any excuses post-match for the lacklustre 90 minutes, which failed to produce a serious attempt on target.

The Blue Toon actually started with intent and Jack Leitch might have done better with a 14 yard shot, which he dragged off target.

The one big chance fell the way of the visitors in the 23rd minute when Jack Breen screwed wide from 10 yards with just the goalkeeper to beat after the on-loan Hamilton rookie ran on to Scott Shepherd’s knockdown.

Breen then went down under a challenge from Jason Brown just before half-time but there did not appear to be enough contact to award a penalty.

In the second period, Shane Sutherland, back in blue after his return from Elgin last month, saw a 25 yard chip narrowly clear the crossbar.

But 0-0 was in the script long before referee Mike Roncone blew up for full-time.

The result means Peterhead remain four points adrift but with two Cowdenbeath games in hand.


Fleming, Stevenson, Dunlop, J.Brown, Boyle, Gibson (Lyle 65), Leitch, S.Brown, Dow, Sutherland (Willis 67) McAllister

Unused. Henderson. Ferry. Home. Eadie. Willox

Off-day for Peterhead as Annan run out convincing winners

Sun 27 Jan 2019

Off-day for Peterhead as Annan run out convincing winners

Three goals in a mad 15 minutes saw Peterhead crash to a disappointing defeat at Annan.

David Wilson scored early in the second half before Tommy Muir hit a quickfire double.

The result meant the top two changed hands again as Edinburgh picked up a point at Elgin in a six-goal thriller, which swung both ways.

Simon Ferry was not risked on the artificial surface but Jamie Stevenson was fit enough to return in the only change from last week’s win over Berwick.

The teams were still all-square at the interval at a wet Galabank Stadium but the Blue Toon fell behind in the 53rd minute.

Wilson looked up from outside of the box and beat Greg Fleming with a shot, which nestled into the bottom corner.

The home team doubled their lead on the hour, Scott Hooper picking out Muir, who stroked in Annan’s second.

The same two players combined again soon after as Muir sent a header into the net from Hooper’s cross in what was a real off-day for Jim McInally’s men.

Patient Peterhead eventually see off Berwick to go top

Sat 19 Jan 2019

Patient Peterhead eventually see off Berwick to go top


ATT 522


Peterhead showed patience to break Berwick’s resistance in a significant victory, which saw them replace Edinburgh as League 2 leaders.

It looked like being a frustrating afternoon for the Blue Toon but they eventually got the goals their play deserved.

Key to the win was substitute Rory McAllister, who made the breakthrough with a fine 72nd minute free-kick before assisting Jack Leitch in stoppage time.

Greg Fleming also had a role to play, making two big saves in the first six minutes to keep out Craig Hume’s header and then spreading himself well to thwart Daryl Healy, who was through on goal.

The woodwork came to Berwick’s rescue in the 16th minute, Leitch’s downward header bouncing up off the turf and striking the crossbar from Jason Brown’s centre.

There were one or two other chances for the home team prior to the interval but they stepped it up in the second half after McAllister took the place of Cammy Eadie.

Derek Lyle wasted a golden opportunity in the 61st minute when he somehow sent a close-range header over the crossbar after excellent wing work from Ryan Dow.

But the deadlock was broken after McAllister won and scored a free-kick on the angle 25 yards out.  McAllister, managing a back problem, struck his effort up and over the wall and the ball flew past the helpless Kyle Allison.

More openings were passed up by Jim McInally’s men in the closing stages but they sealed the points with seconds remaining to go above Edinburgh on goal difference.

McAllister darted into the box after cutting in from the left flank and he rolled in Leitch, who slotted into the bottom corner from eight yards.



Fleming, J.Brown, Boyle, Eadie (McAllister 57), Dunlop, Ferry (Home 79), Leitch, Gibson, S.Brown, Dow, Lyle (McLean 76)

Unused. Henderson. McCracken. Willox

Blue Toon grind out Albion victory to stay second

Sat 12 Jan 2019

Blue Toon grind out Albion victory to stay second

Albion Rovers 0

Peterhead 2


Peterhead scored two second half goals to pick up three points against Albion Rovers in Coatbridge.

Ryan Dow’s header shortly after the interval and a strike from substitute Russell McLean gave the Blue Toon the victory.

Following last week’s defeat to Clyde, Derek Lyle was preferred ahead of Willie Gibson but the veteran midfielder was required midway through the first half after Rory McAllister picked up an injury.

Cammy Eadie saw a header narrowly miss the target as Albion got to half-time unscathed.

However, the League 2 basement side fell behind four minutes after the restart when Dow nodded in from close range.

McLean then replaced Jamie Stevenson, who suffered a knock, and the big striker made sure of the points in the 71st minute.

The former East Kilbride man lashed a shot beyond Albion’s trialist goalkeeper to keep Peterhead in second spot in the table.

Costly ending for Blue Toon as Clyde score twice to claim win

Sat 05 Jan 2019

Ryan Dow gave Peterhead a lead they could not hold on toRyan Dow gave Peterhead a lead they could not hold on to




A late collapse saw Peterhead miss out on the chance to go top of League 2 after Clyde scored twice in the closing stages to revive their own title hopes.

Without hitting the heights, the afternoon had been going to plan for the Blue Toon – Ryan Dow’s goal separating the sides at Balmoor and Edinburgh losing against Stirling Albion.

However, a costly last five minutes scuppered their chances of displacing City as a two-horse title race quickly became three.

Clyde impressed, especially in the second half, with a neat passing style, although they did not create too many openings.

They did, however, force Greg Fleming into a 20th minute save when David Goodwillie raced into the box but his angled shot was well-blocked by the home goalkeeper.

Peterhead took the lead on the half hour mark after a terrible misjudgement from Jordan Stewart.

The Clyde full-back tried to chest back to his goalkeeper but got it horribly wrong as the ball struck the far post, allowing Dow to tap in from close range.

There were not too many chances at either end but the visitors had the lion’s share of the ball, which they circulated well.

The Blue Toon did not intentionally retreat.  Instead, they were pushed back and Clyde were rewarded for their possession in a dramatic finale.

Goodwillie struck a low shot off the near post and substitute Ally Love reacted first to net the rebound.

That was in the 85th minute and Danny Lennon’s team went on to score the winner soon after when Mark Lamont flashed a 14 yard shot inside the far corner.


Fleming, Eadie, Boyle, Dunlop, Stevenson, Ferry, Leitch (Lyle 66), S.Brown, W.Gibson, Dow (J.Brown 76), McAllister (McLean 76)

Unused. R.Gibson. Home

Three goals and three points for Peterhead against Elgin

Sun 30 Dec 2018

Three goals and three points for Peterhead against Elgin

Elgin 0

Peterhead 3


Peterhead ramped up the pressure on Edinburgh City with a fine victory at 10-man Elgin.

Jack Leitch lashed in the opener in the 14th minute and even though Rory McAllister failed to convert a penalty midway through the first half, Ryan Dow’s strike ensured they had a two-goal cushion into the interval.

Leitch scored his second and Peterhead’s third in the closing stages as the Blue Toon cut the gap at the top to three points following Edinburgh’s draw at Berwick.

Leitch’s opener gave Kyle Gourlay no chance, his shot from outside the penalty area flying into the top corner.

Darryl McHardy was sent off for the Borough Briggs team in the 24th minute, picking up a red card for hauling down McAllister and conceding a penalty.

McAllister’s spot-kick was well-saved by Gourlay but Peterhead quickly set about making the most of their numerical advantage and they increased their lead in the 32nd minute through a fine rising effort from Dow.

Leitch completed the scoring with 12 minutes left with a close-range header following Jamie Stevenson’s cross to make it three goals and three points for the visitors.

Ruthless Blue Toon hit four past Stirling

Sat 22 Dec 2018

Ruthless Blue Toon hit four past Stirling



An efficient Peterhead kept up their League 2 title tilt by sweeping aside Stirling Albion, whose five game unbeaten run was abruptly ended at Balmoor.

Two goals in each half saw the Blue Toon run out comfortable winners in what was a solid rather than spectacular display.

The scoring began in the 14th minute through an excellent Jack Leitch effort, the midfielder controlling the ball with a neat touch and then rifling a volley beyond Cameron Binnie from just inside the box.

Equally impressive was Rory McAllister’s goal in the 28th minute as the striker rounded the goalkeeper and from a really tight angle, found the opposite corner with a precision finish.

In between those two strikes was a gilt-edged chance for Stirling’s Darren Smith, who somehow slid a close-range shot wide after a fine Dylan Mackin cross.

Jamie Stevenson then provided a couple of assists in the second half to seal the points for the hosts.

His 55th minute corner found the unmarked Derek Lyle but the veteran forward still had an awful lot to do as he superbly looped a header inside the far post.

Stevenson’s next set-piece, in the 63rd minute, was nodded goalward by Cammy Eadie  and although the visiting defence thought they had cleared, the referee ruled the ball had already crossed the line.

Ronan Hughes turned in a Reg McLaren cross with two minutes left but that just a mere consolation for Stirling.



Peterhead XI
















Honours even in table-topping League 2 clash

Tue 11 Dec 2018

Honours even in table-topping League 2 clash

Edinburgh City 1

Peterhead 1


There is no change at the top of League 2 after Peterhead were unable to hold on to their lead at title rivals Edinburgh.

An away win at Ainslie Park would have seen the Blue Toon replace City at the summit.

They were on course to do just that when Jason Brown scored from close range on the hour mark.

But the division’s top scorer Blair Henderson wiped out Peterhead’s lead nine minutes later and that was how the match ended.

The home team finished with 10-men after Andrew Black was sent off with 11 minutes remaining but they held on to stay top.

It still was not a bad point for Jim McInally’s men, who had intended to start with Derek Lyle until the veteran striker picked up an injury in the warm-up.

The match was stalemate until Brown bundled in 15 minutes into the second period.  Edinburgh could not defend a set-piece as Brown stabbed in from just a few yards out.

But back came James McDonaugh’s team and they levelled through Henderson following a swift break.  Former Blue Toon forward Allan Smith provided the assist as Henderson moved on to 21 goals for the season.

Black was dismissed for picking up two yellow cards and although Peterhead substitute Callum Home forced Calum Antel into a fine save in stoppage time, Edinburgh clung on to reigster their first draw of the campaign.

Five-star Toon trounce struggling Berwick

Sat 08 Dec 2018

Jack Leitch made the breakthrough early at Shielfield ParkJack Leitch made the breakthrough early at Shielfield Park

Berwick Rangers 0

Peterhead 5


Peterhead chalked up their biggest win of the season with a 5-0 demolition of Berwick Rangers.

The Blue Toon needed just two minutes to open the scoring and it was a sign of things to come for the hosts, who shipped two more before half-time.

Jim McInally’s men added another couple of goals in the second half to round off a superb show at Shielfield Park.

Jack Leitch struck first with a rising shot, which flew past Sean Brennan and into the top corner.

Leitch then turned provider in the 13th minute, laying the ball off for Rory McAllister, who drove a low left shot into the net.

Berwick could not get to grips with their opponents and it was 3-0 in the 36th minute whenJason Brown headed in Jamie Stevenson’s corner.

When Peterhead scored again six minutes after the interval, home boss Johnny Harvey must surely have wanted the full-time whistle as Russell McLean stroked in number four.

That goal came from a set-piece and so did Stevenson’s effort in the 78th minute, the versatile 34 year old rifling a free-kick into the bottom corner to complete the rout.

It was a confidence-boosting performance and result ahead of Tuesday’s table-topping trip to Edinburgh, who still lead the way after a narrow win at Annan.

Peterhead see off Annan after McLean’s late goal

Sun 02 Dec 2018

Peterhead see off Annan after McLean’s late goal

Peterhead 2

Annan Athletic 1


Peterhead remain second in League 2 after scoring late to defeat Annan at Balmoor.

The Blue Toon got off to the perfect start thanks to Derek Lyle’s goal after just two minutes.

But when the Galabankies levelled from the spot in the 81st minute, a draw looked on the cards.

Russell McLean had other ideas though, firing in the winner with five minutes left to keep Peterhead two points behind leaders Edinburgh.

The capital club show no signs of slipping up but Jim McInally’s men don’t either and they moved on to 10 league victories from 13 matches.

Paddy Boyle was the creator of Peterhead’s opener, finding Lyle who netted from close range.

But despite their fast start, the game was still in the balance going into the closing stages and when Max Wright won, what appeared to be, a soft penalty following Jason Brown’s foul, Tony Wallace converted to level the scores.

McLean had the final say, however, smashing a rising shot from inside the penalty box beyond Alex Mitchell to hand the home team a vital three points.

Peterhead exit Scottish Cup after Ton treble

Wed 28 Nov 2018

Peterhead exit Scottish Cup after Ton treble

Peterhead 0

Morton 3


Peterhead had reason to be hopeful in the Scottish Cup after taking Morton back to Balmoor.

But two games in four days against the Championship side proved too much for the Blue Toon.

Following a 1-1 draw at Cappielow, Morton meant business second time around  and they needed just 10 minutes to take the lead.

Peterhead could not defend Michael Tidser’s corner and Kerr Waddell sent a header past Greg Fleming.

Jim McInally, looking to dump his old side out of the famous knock-out competition, must have been encouraged when Jason Brown forced a save out of Derek Gaston nine minutes into the second half.

But Robert Thomson’s strike in the 61st minute put Morton firmly in control of the tie.

The former Brechin frontman buried a shot into the bottom corner after being set up by Bob McHugh, Ton’s scorer in Saturday’s tie.

Blue Toon striker Russell McLean was unlucky with a 71st minute effort, which rebounded off the post.

Had the ball go in, it would have set up a nervy ending for the visitors, who instead added a third with seven minutes remaining.

Chris Millar smashed a shot, from a difficult angle, into the net to confirm Morton’s fourth round tie against East Fife.

Peterhead earn Morton replay after Cappielow draw

Sun 25 Nov 2018

Peterhead earn Morton replay after Cappielow draw

Morton 1-1 Peterhead


Peterhead remain alive and kicking in the Scottish Cup after earning a third round replay with Morton following a 1-1 draw at Cappielow.

Scott Brown gave the Blue Toon the lead in the 27th minute but his goal was cancelled out by Bob McHugh’s header as half time approached.

Neither team could find a winner in the second period so they will try again on Tuesday with an away trip to East Fife the prize for the winners.

Greg Fleming had to look lively in the early stages before Peterhead went in front.

Ryan Dow was the provider, weaving his way to the byline and cutting the ball back for Brown to beat Derek Gaston from 10 yards.

However, the Blue Toon were unable to get to half time ahead as  McHugh restored parity four minutes before the break.

Jack Iredale kept the ball in and delivered a front post cross, which was headed in by McHugh.

Jack Leitch nearly gave the visitors the advantage again with a hooked effort, which was cleared off the line by Michael Tidser.

Moments later, as Morton broke down the other end, Reghan Tumilty tested Fleming with a rising shot.

By no means were Peterhead content to sit in and accept a draw and Willie Gibson was unlucky with a long range free-kick, which flew inches wide of the target.

Then it was Morton’s turn to go close right at the end, McHugh just heading wide deep in stoppage time from substitute Robert Thomson’s cross.

It all means the teams will do it all over again in just a few days time.

Peterhead’s winning run ended by Queen’s Park

Sat 10 Nov 2018

Peterhead’s winning run ended by Queen’s Park



Peterhead suffered defeat at Hampden as Queen’s Park scored either side of the interval to end the Blue Toon’s seven-game winning streak.

Ciaran Summers claimed both goals and the result meant Edinburgh City seized top spot again following their win over Albion Rovers.

Jim McInally’s men were unchanged from last week’s victory over Rovers but they found themselves behind in the 27th minute.

Summers struck a free-kick past Greg Fleming, his left-foot effort nestling into the bottom corner of the net.

There were opportunities for Peterhead to draw level but when Summers netted again six minutes into the second half, the Spiders were firmly in command.

Summers, from out on the left wing, deceived Fleming with what appeared to be a cross.

Queen’s Park finished the game with 10-men after Dominic McLaren was dismissed with six minutes remaining for picking up two yellow cards in quick succession.

But this was a rare League 2 off-day for the Blue Toon, who crashed to just their second loss of the season.

Del’s double fires Peterhead top of table

Sat 03 Nov 2018

Del’s double fires Peterhead top of table


Att 590


Peterhead are the new League 2 leaders after beating basement side Albion Rovers in a game of two halves at windswept Balmoor.

Derek Lyle kept up his excellent recent form to grab the two goals, which proved just enough.

The Blue Toon impressed in the first half while Albion were in disarray but the visitors got their act together after the interval and reduced the deficit.

The home side needed Greg Fleming to make some important saves to preserve their lead but they held on to move above Edinburgh, who were beaten by Clyde.

Paddy Boyle picked up an injury in the warm-up but the late change to the starting line-up did not hinder Peterhead, who began positively.

Rory McAllister, literally straight from the kick-off, fired inches over with a cheeky effort from the centre spot.

In fact, it was an indication of how strong the overhead conditions were that Albion’s John Cunningham tried the exact same thing at the start of the second period and his 50 yarder was tipped over by Fleming.

But McAllister was the key man before the break, laying on both goals for Lyle.

The opener arrived in the fifth minute when the Blue Toon captain chased a long punt forward and then clipped the ball across for his striker partner Lyle to shoot past Peter Morrison.

Morrison had a fine game but it was his lapse, which brought about Peterhead’s second.

The goalkeeper’s misplaced pass was seized upon by McAllister, who squared for Lyle to slot in his fifth goal from his last three appearances.

Some neat combination play in the 21st minute nearly produced a third but Ryan Dow was denied by Morrison and countless other chances went awry.

You still sensed two goals would be enough but Albion were a different proposition in the second half.

They carried a threat and had Peterhead on the back foot, although McAllister could have settled the contest with a breakaway in the 64th minute.  Instead, he took a bad touch and ended up shooting wide of the target.

Albion set up a nervy ending by scoring in the 71st minute from a set-piece, Barry Eley heading in Gerard Hernando Escuriola’s corner at the front post.

Fleming saved well from Jamie Watson’s 22 yard free-kick with five minutes left as Peterhead stood firm to go top of the table.


Fleming, J.Brown, Stevenson, Eadie, W.Gibson, Ferry, S.Brown, Leitch (Home 87), Dow, McAllister (McLean 68), Lyle (Kavanagh 75)

Unused. R.Gibson. McDonald

Peterhead pass Clyde test to extend winning run

Sat 27 Oct 2018

Lyle scored twice in the second half to maintain Peterhead’s impressive formLyle scored twice in the second half to maintain Peterhead’s impressive form

Clyde 1

Peterhead 3


Peterhead kept up their 100% away record with a hard-fought victory against Clyde at Broadwood.

Substitute Derek Lyle scored two second half goals after Scott Brown had given the Blue Toon an interval lead.

Both sides had a player sent off but Jim McInally’s men headed home with the points to stay hot on the heals of League 2 leaders Edinburgh City, who won at Stirling.

Brown fired in the opener in the 20th minute, shooting into the bottom corner with a fine effort from outside the penalty area.

Mick Dunlop was shown a red card for a challenge on David Goodwillie in the 62nd minute, prompting Cammy Eadie to take the place of Ross Kavanagh.

But Clyde’s numerical advantage lasted just three minutes as Tom Lang was given his marching orders for picking up a second yellow.

Lyle had just replaced Rory McAllister at this point and the veteran striker came up with a clinical finish in the 73rd minute to put Peterhead in command.

When Paddy Boyle put the ball through his own net in the 78th minute, the home team were given encouragement but Lyle bent in a beauty from distance with six minutes remaining to make it six straight wins for the visitors.

Peterhead conquer Kelty to set up Morton match

Sat 20 Oct 2018

Peterhead conquer Kelty to set up Morton match

Peterhead 3

Kelty Hearts 2

Att 658


Jim McInally will take Peterhead to face his former club Morton in the Scottish Cup third round.

It follows the Blue Toon’s victory over Kelty Hearts, who put on a decent display at Balmoor.

Russell McLean, Rory McAllister and substitute Derek Lyle got the goals but the home team had to work for their win.

Kelty announced Barry Ferguson as their new manager on Thursday and although the former Rangers and Scotland captain was not in the away dugout, the Lowland League leaders looked eager to impress.

That said, the tie did not start well for them as Conrad Courts misplaced a seventh minute pass and McLean pounced to slot past Scott Christie.

Peterhead were unable to build on their lead though, and they let the visitors back into the contest in the 20th minute.

Stephen Husband whipped in a free-kick from the left and Ciaren Chalmers buried a header past Greg Fleming.

McInally’s men were better in the second half and created several chances but it looked like it would not be McAllister’s day when he had a header chalked off for offside before striking the upright.

However, McAllister would not be denied in the 74th minute as Peterhead regained the initiative.

The Blue Toon captain laid the ball off to Lyle, who clipped a fine cross to the back post and McAllister nodded past Christie from a few yards out.

Lyle then headed in Peterhead’s third in the last minute, directing Jamie Stevenson’s corner into the net from the centre of the box.

Although the contest was now over, the scoring was not as Kelty pulled one back in stoppage time through Matthew Gay from another Husband set-piece but it was too little too late for the ambitious Fife club.



Fleming, Stevenson, J.Brown, Dunlop, Boyle, Ferry, W.Gibson (Lyle 73), Leitch (Kavanagh 56), S.Brown, McLean, McAllister

Unused. R.Gibson. McCracken. Eadie. Home

Impressive Blue Toon too good for shot-shy Elgin

Sat 06 Oct 2018

Ryan Dow scored the opener as Elgin suffered a 3-0 defeatRyan Dow scored the opener as Elgin suffered a 3-0 defeat


Att 681


Peterhead impressed in their League 2 win over Elgin, putting three goals past their former Highland League rivals to stay second.

Ryan Dow netted his second goal in as many games with a header just before half time.

The second half was dominated by the home team and goals from Rory McAllister and Russell McLean gave the Blue Toon a fully deserved 3-0 victory.

Elgin rarely threatened, although the first period was an even contest until Dow struck in the 42nd minute.

Following some neat passing, Jamie Stevenson crossed from the right and the on loan Ross County man stooped to nod past Kyle Gourlay.

After the interval, it was attack versus defence as Peterhead put on their most convincing Balmoor display of the season.

There were neat moves, which produced openings and chances, and once McAllister glanced in their second in the 53rd minute, the points were as good as in the bag.

Willie Gibson sent in a corner and McAllister got across his marker to direct a front-post header into the net.

The Blue Toon captain had opportunities to score again but found Gourlay in good form while Scott Brown was also foiled by the visiting goalkeeper.

McLean came off the bench to complete the scoring with four minutes left.  Paddy Boyle’s left wing cross was missed by Derek Lyle but fellow sub McLean was on hand to rifle a 12 yard shot into the bottom corner.


Fleming, Stevenson, J.Brown, Dunlop, Boyle, S.Brown, W.Gibson, Ferry, Leitch (Lyle 70), Dow (McLean 74), McAllister (Kavanagh 79)

Subs not used – R.Gibson. Eadie. Home. McCracken

Three goals and three points for Blue Toon at Annan

Sat 29 Sep 2018

Rory McAllister continued his fine start to the season with another goalRory McAllister continued his fine start to the season with another goal



Peterhead made their long journey to Annan worthwhile with a fine 3-1 win at Galabank.

Ryan Dow netted his first Blue Toon goal to give the visitors an interval lead, which was doubled by Rory McAllister’s strike in the closing stages.

Tony Wallace scored soon after to reduce the arrears but Jason Brown settled any Peterhead nerves with a late effort.

After their 1-0 victory over Berwick, Peterhead gave a full debut to Paddy Boyle, who came in at full-back to free up Willie Gibson into his more accustomed midfield role.

Simon Ferry was not risked on the artificial surface while Russell McLean took the place of Derek Lyle, who dropped down to the bench.

Dow opened the scoring with a 37th minute header, nodding past John Jamieson from Jack Leitch’s delivery.

The game was still in the balance until McAllister rifled in an 80th minute shot from outside the box, which flashed into the bottom corner.

Wallace quickly pulled one back, glancing in Aidan Smith’s cross, in the hope of setting up a grandstand finish.

But Brown sealed the points with five minutes remaining after the hosts failed to cut out Gibson’s free-kick.

Peterhead stay second, a couple of points adrift of Edinburgh, and they will round off the first quarter of the campaign at home to Elgin next weekend.

McAllister’s second half goal hands Peterhead narrow victory

Sat 22 Sep 2018

McAllister’s second half goal hands Peterhead narrow victory



Rory McAllister’s second half goal gave Peterhead a narrow win against a well-organised Berwick.

The Blue Toon captain netted from close range in the 74th minute to decide a scrappy encounter.

The visitors might feel as though they should have taken something, given that they restricted Jim McInally’s men to few opportunities.

Berwick even had by far the best chance, when the game was still goalless, in the 65th minute.

Willie Gibson’s error was pounced upon by Daryl Healy, who broke clear down the right.

Healy squared for Paul Willis but his effort was superbly saved by Greg Fleming and Healy put the follow-up shot into the side-netting.

Peterhead had controlled the contest up until then, without ever testing Sean Brennan, but they made the most of the reprieve with 16 minutes remaining.

Jamie Stevenson, who went closest in the first half with a curling free-kick, found space on the right side of the penalty area and he sent in a low cross, which McAllister converted at the far post.

Not the prettiest but three points all the same.



Fleming, Stevenson, J.Brown, Dunlop, W.Gibson, Ferry, Leitch, S.Brown (Boyle 73) Dow, Lyle (McLean 60) McAllister (Kavanagh 79)

Unused. R.Gibson. Eadie. Home. Norris




Battling Blue Toon twice come from behind to see off Cowden

Sat 15 Sep 2018

Derek Lyle was on the scoresheet as Peterhead made it three away wins in a rowDerek Lyle was on the scoresheet as Peterhead made it three away wins in a row

Cowdenbeath 2

Peterhead 4


Peterhead twice came from behind to defeat Cowdenbeath at Central Park in League 2.

Mick Dunlop marked his first start for the club with a first half goal but the Blue Toon still trailed at the interval.

Derek Lyle levelled shortly after the restart and strikes from Rory McAllister and Willie Gibson ensured the Blue Toon continued their unblemished away record.

Cowden defender Jason Talbot started the six-goal thriller in the 10th minute, drilling a left-foot shot beyond Greg Fleming.

But the hosts were ahead for just four minutes as Dunlop pounced from close-range following a corner.

Former Peterhead utility player David Cox had a hand in Gary Bollan’s team’s second in the 27th minute, crossing for Robbie Buchanan, who planted a header into the bottom corner.

The second half, however, belonged to Peterhead and Lyle hauled the visitors level in the 47th minute by beating David McGurn from just a few yards out.

10 minutes later, McAllister smashed a low shot from inside the penalty area into the corner of the net to swing the match in the Blue Toon’s favour.

Jim McInally’s men made sure of the victory in the 67th minute when Gibson, from a free-kick, fired past McGurn to keep them second in the table, tucked in behind Edinburgh City.

Quality goal gives Bohs victory at Balmoor

Sat 08 Sep 2018

Jason Brown saw a stoppage-time shot strike the crossbarJason Brown saw a stoppage-time shot strike the crossbar




A quality goal separated the sides as Bohemians advanced to the IRN-BRU Cup third round at the expense of Peterhead.

Kevin Devaney bent in a beauty in the second half but the Blue Toon were unlucky to go out after Jason Brown rattled the woodwork in stoppage time.

Away from the hustle and bustle of League 2 action, Peterhead participated in a good spectacle with both teams eager to keep the ball on the floor.

Patience was the key in a first half, which yielded one big chance for Bohs in the 38th minute.

Eoghan Stokes turned smartly in the box and hit a rising shot, which was pushed behind for a corner by Greg Fleming.

The Blue Toon began brightly after the interval and Jamie Stevenson lofted a ball over the top for Willie Gibson, who fired straight at Colin McCabe.

But the decisive moment arrived in the 63rd minute after a slick move.

Andrew Lyons found Stokes and his lay-off was delightfully curled in with the ouside of Devaney’s boot from 18 yards.

The 53 visiting fans were happy and Robbie McCourt could have given the Dubliners a cushion when he rounded Fleming in the 70th minute but he was unable to direct his effort on target from a tight angle.

As Peterhead pushed men forward in the closing stages, they were left exposed at the back and Ryan Graydon could have killed the contest when he was through on goal, only to be foiled by Fleming.

Peterhead were denied the chance of a penalty shoot-out right at the death when Brown struck the crossbar.

Gibson’s inswinging cross was knocked down by substitute Russell McLean and just when Jack Leitch was away to strike the ball with his left foot, Brown nipped in and saw his effort smash the frame of the goal.

Very unfortunate or luck of the Irish?



Fleming, Home (Dunlop 75), Eadie, J.Brown, Stevenson, Ferry, Gibson, S.Brown (Norris 82), Leitch, Kavanagh (McLean 68), McAllister

Unused. Lyle.




One goal enough as Edinburgh capitalise on lacklustre Peterhead

Sat 01 Sep 2018

One goal enough as Edinburgh capitalise on lacklustre Peterhead




Peterhead and Edinburgh traded places in League 2 as the Blue Toon lost the match and top spot following a disappointing display.

Blair Henderson headed in the winner early in the second half to end the Buchan team’s unbeaten start.

Barring a double save in the sixth minute to deny Derek Lyle and Jack Leitch, visiting goalkeeper Callum Antell had nothing to do.

Greg Fleming was rarely troubled either, although when he did pull off a fine stop in the 52nd minute to keep out Scott Shepherd’s shot, his team-mates were unable to help him out.

Instead, City kept the ball alive in the penalty area and Graham Taylor crossed for Henderson, who could barely miss from a couple of yards out.

The wind was at Peterhead’s back at this stage and while there was huff and puff, nothing near strong enough to blow Edinburgh’s defence down.

The Blue Toon were having such a bad day that boss Jim McInally decided to haul off Rory McAllister, who had scored in all four matches previous.

Willie Gibson was substituted as well, with the manager sensing either could have seen red as frustration started to get the better of them.

But any player in blue could have got the hook in a performance not in keeping with Peterhead’s previous three victories.



Fleming, W.Gibson (Home 81), J.Brown, Eadie, Stevenson, Ferry, S.Brown, Leitch, Lyle, McLean (Kavanagh 64) McAllister (Norris 81)

Unused. R.Gibson. McCracken. McDonald

Peterhead maintain fine start with third straight win

Sat 25 Aug 2018

Peterhead maintain fine start with third straight win

Stirling Albion 0

Peterhead 2


Peterhead won their third match in a row in League 2 by beating Stirling Albion at Forthbank.

A superb Jamie Stevenson free-kick and a Rory McAllister goal gave the Blue Toon maximum points to keep them at the top of the table on goal difference.

Unchanged from last week’s victory over Clyde, Peterhead started with intent and McAllister struck the crossbar in the sixth minute after Stirling failed to deal with a corner.

The home team might have made more of a good opportunity in the 16th minute when Peter MacDonald sent Kevin Fell away but he dragged his shot wide.

Peterhead’s opener just before half-time was a thing of beauty.

Stevenson curled a stunning 25 yard effort in off the upright to give Calum Ferrie absolutely no chance.

Stirling, yet to register a point so far, introduced last season’s League 2 Player of the Year, Darren Smith, in the second period for his first appearance of the campaign following an injury.

But it was the Blue Toon, who struck in the 64th minute to wrap up the points.

Russell McLean picked out McAllister, who found the net to continue his impressive start to the season by scoring in every league game so far.

Further chances came and went for the visitors in the closing stages but two goals proved more than enough.

Well-organised Blue Toon get better of Clyde

Sat 18 Aug 2018

Well-organised Blue Toon get better of Clyde




The forwards of Peterhead and Clyde could well top the scoring charts by the end of the season.

But it was the Blue Toon’s attackers, who ultimately made the difference in this League 2 contest.

Early in the second half, Derek Lyle set up Rory McAllister, who netted the game’s only goal as Russell McLean put in another tireless shift.

Clyde’s front two, meanwhile, of David Goodwillie and Ally Love were kept quiet throughout.

Jim McInally’s team shaded the first half in which McLean went closest after a surging run from Simon Ferry’s searching pass.

Scott Brown then flashed a shot over the crossbar just before the Blue Toon made the decisive breakthrough in the 53rd minute.

Lyle took a touch and lofted the ball over the Clyde centre backs for the onrushing McAllister.  The Blue Toon striker stayed cool and slipped the ball past Blair Currie from 10 yards.

Lyle could have doubled Peterhead’s lead midway through the half after good work from Jamie Stevenson.  Lyle was picked out on the left side of the box but he spooned his effort wide.

Clyde’s best chance, in the 67th minute, saw Raymond Grant forcing a save out of Greg Fleming, with Chris McStay unable to divert the rebound on target.

Peterhead were worthy winners though, to go top of the table above Annan and Elgin on goal difference.



Fleming, W.Gibson, J.Brown, Eadie, Stevenson, Ferry, Leitch (Norris 83), S.Brown, McLean, McAllister (Home 90), Lyle (Kavanagh 76)

Unused. R.Gibson. McCracken. Buxton. McDonald





Late fightback from impressive Peterhead floors Brechin

Tue 14 Aug 2018

Late fightback from impressive Peterhead floors Brechin

IRN-BRU Cup 1st Round

Peterhead 2

Brechin 1


An entertaining IRN-BRU Cup tie went the way of Peterhead, who fought back well to defy Brechin and book their place in the second round.

The Blue Toon impressed in a dominant first half display, yet still trailed after a bad error from Jason Brown.

Even though the visitors quietened Jim McInally’s men after the interval, the home team still carried a threat and they scored twice in the latter stages.

Russell McLean tapped in from close range in the 76th minute and with penalty kicks looming, Jack Leitch headed in the winner with four minutes left.

One of the star men was Patrick O’Neil, who pulled off a string of key saves in the first half to thwart Peterhead.

McLean was twice denied, as was Ross Kavanagh, and Brechin must have started to think it was going to be their night, especially when they were gifted the opener in the 13th minute.

Brown made a mess of dealing with a high ball and Dene Shields took full advantage to slot past Greg Fleming.

In the second period, there were a couple of Brechin breakaways, which forced Fleming into action but the introduction of Rory McAllister and Derek Lyle ensured a torrid ending for the Angus club.

Neither striker got on the scoresheet but they caused problems and the other forward, McLean, was a nuisance throughout.

The big striker levelled from close range when Leitch sent over a telling delivery from the left and the compliment was returned in the 86th minute minute as McLean stood up a cross for Leitch to nod in from a couple of yards out.


Fleming, Home (Lyle 59) J.Brown, Eadie, Stevenson, W.Gibson, Leitch, S.Brown, Norris (McDonald 81), Kavanagh (McAllister 59), McLean

Unused. R.Gibson. Buxton. McCracken

Att 496

Peterhead hit four as Albion suffer another heavy loss

Sat 11 Aug 2018

Derek Lyle scored his first Peterhead goal in the comfortable Coatbridge winDerek Lyle scored his first Peterhead goal in the comfortable Coatbridge win

Albion Rovers 0

Peterhead 4


Peterhead were rampant at Cliftonhill as Albion Rovers crashed to a second 4-0 defeat in as many games.

Jamie Stevenson gave the Blue Toon an interval lead before Derek Lyle opened his account for his new club.

Rory McAllister slotted in a penalty in the closing stages for his 100th SPFL goal and Scott Brown completed the scoring in stoppage time.

The win and the goals will have given Jim McInally’s team a big lift.

There was just one change from last week’s draw against Queen’s Park, Jack Leitch returning from suspension at the expense of Callum Home.

Stevenson broke the deadlock in the 32nd minute with a low drive, which flew into the bottom corner.

The versatlie 34 year old went from scorer to provider on the hour mark, whipping in a cross for Lyle to head past Gareth Hallford.

With eight minutes remaining, McAllister drew and converted a penalty after going down under Barry Eley’s challenge.  The Blue Toon striker dusted himself down to net for the second game in a row.

Albion, who have yet to score in any competition, were put out of their misery in added time when Brown found the bottom corner with a well-taken 20 yard shot.

Peterhead hit back but forced to settle for Queen’s Park draw

Sat 04 Aug 2018

Peterhead hit back but forced to settle for Queen’s Park draw

Peterhead 1

Queen’s Park 1


A goal apiece and a point apiece, Peterhead and Queen’s Park played out a fair draw in their League 2 opener at Balmoor.

The first half threw up chances and drama whereas the second period was bland and the outcome was predictable long before 4.45pm.

After failing to find the net in any of their Betfred Cup group games, the Blue Toon started with a bold three-pronged attack but, despite Rory McAllister ending their scoring drought, the frontline had an unbalanced look.

Jim McInally’s team did, however, respond well to the early setback of conceding from a set-piece in the seventh minute.  Jamie McKernon’s corner found the unmarked Scott Gibson and the defender hooked an effort inside the far post.

Forwards Derek Lyle and Smart Osadolor traded half chances at either end before Scott Brown blew a great opportunity for Peterhead in the 15th minute, blasting over from 12 yards after Lyle’s cross was not properly cleared by the visiting defence.

The Blue Toon were back level in the 25th minute through the alertness of McAllister.  Jamie Stevenson’s 22 yard drive was beaten out by Jordan Hart, who might have done better, and McAllister was on hand to sweep in the rebound.

The match fizzled out quickly from there, although there was a good opportunity for Queen’s Park to take maximum points with five minutes remaining.

A misplaced pass from home goalkeeper Greg Fleming landed at the feet of Kurtis Roberts but his attempted lob over the Blue Toon number one, from an angle, went wide of the unguarded goal.


Fleming, Home (Kavanagh 61), J.Brown, Eadie, Stevenson, Ferry (McDonald 88), W.Gibson, S.Brown, McAllister, McLean (Norris 80), Lyle

Unused. R.Gibson. Buxton

Second half Dundee goals break Peterhead resistance

Wed 25 Jul 2018

Jamie Stevenson continues to operate at left-back with Paddy Boyle yet to shrug off an injuryJamie Stevenson continues to operate at left-back with Paddy Boyle yet to shrug off an injury

Peterhead 0-2 Dundee


Peterhead rounded off their Betfred Cup campaign with a solid showing against Dundee, who ultimately had too much for the Blue Toon.

Both goals came in the second half, Karl Madianga opening the scoring moments after the interval and Jean Mendy wrapping up the victory in added time.

The result ensured the Blue Toon finished Group D at the bottom and without a goal.

There were, at least, some encouraging signs after a sorry display against Stirling last Saturday.

Aaron Norris and Russell McLean came back into the starting line-up as Willie Gibson and Scott Brown made way..

Peterhead gave a good account in the first period, with Ross Kavanagh twice testing Elliot Parish, who also denied McLean from close range.

However, the Buchan outfit were undone four minutes after the restart when Jesse Curran found Paul McGowan and he set up Madianga, whose effort from the edge of the box nestled into the net.

Jim McInally’s men kept battling and believing and Dundee were never safe until Mendy slotted past Greg Fleming from 14 yards in the dying seconds after a neat flick from substitute Craig Wighton.



Fleming, Home, J.Brown, Eadie, Stevenson, Ferry, Leitch, Norris, Kavanagh, McLean, McAllister (Lyle 56)

Unused. R.Gibson, McCracken, S.Brown, Buxton, McDonald

Peterhead’s cup qualification chances ended by Stirling

Sat 21 Jul 2018

New signing Lyle made his first appearance after coming off the bench in the second halfNew signing Lyle made his first appearance after coming off the bench in the second half





A goal in each half gave Stirling Albion their first win in the Betfred Cup as Peterhead exited the competition in disappointing fashion.

The Binos front two of Peter MacDonald and Mark Stewart were the star performers and the men, who made the difference at Balmoor.

MacDonald opened the scoring in the eighth minute with a tidy finish inside the far corner from Stewart’s clever cutback.

Several chances came and went for the Blue Toon before Stewart added to the visitors’ lead in the 71st minute, the former Falkirk man smashing a rising shot beyond Greg Fleming from Jordan Allan’s corner.

The result means Jim McInally’s men, who have yet to find the net, cannot get out of Group D going into their last round-robin game against Dundee, which will be merely a fitness-exercise.

Summer signing Derek Lyle is one player, who will benefit from some more minutes on the pitch.

The former Queen of the South finisher is still trying to find full fitness after a calf strain restricted his pre-season.

The 37 year old was introduced from the bench in the second half and was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet.

Lyle’s new shirt number is 99.  Here, however, the red balloons belonged to Stirling Albion.



Fleming, J.Brown, Home, Eadie, Stevenson (McLean 60), Gibson, Ferry, S.Brown (Norris 46), Leitch, Kavanagh, McAllister (Lyle 60)

Unused. McDonald. Buxton

Yellow carded. Gibson





Battling Blue Toon defeated at Dunfermline

Tue 17 Jul 2018

Battling Blue Toon defeated at Dunfermline

Dunfermline 3–0 Peterhead


Goals near the end of both halves proved costly for Peterhead as Dunfermline registered an opening victory in the Betfred Cup.

Myles Hippolyte broke the deadlock just before half time but the Blue Toon were still very much in the contest until Kallum Higginbotham converted a late penalty and substitute Andy Ryan wrapped up the home win in stoppage time.

Peterhead, after picking up two points at Brechin last weekend, made a couple of changes with Simon Ferry and Callum Home replacing Aaron Norris and Ross Kavanagh, who both dropped down to the bench.

Hippolyte headed in a close range opener in the 42nd minute, after getting on the end of Ryan Williamson’s cross.

Rory McAllister was unfortunate not to haul Peterhead level when he struck the woodwork with a well-taken free-kick early in the second period.

There was still hope for the visitors up until Willie Gibson upended substitute Aidan Connolly, which allowed Higginbotham to neatly dispatch from the spot.

A breakaway goal from Ryan, who clipped the ball inside the far corner with seconds left, completed the win.

Peterhead competed well but remain on two points in Group D ahead of home matches against Stirling Albion and Dundee respectively.

Penalty shoot-out success for Blue Toon at Brechin

Sat 14 Jul 2018

Penalty shoot-out success for Blue Toon at Brechin


(Peterhead win 5-4 on pens)


Peterhead managed a penalty shoot-out victory at Brechin to put two early points on the board in Betfred Cup Group D.

After a goalless 90 minutes at Glebe Park, the Blue Toon players kept their cool from the spot.

Rory McAllister and Jack Leitch converted but although Willie Gibson’s effort struck the upright, Russell McLean, Jamie Stevenson and Jason Brown all netted.

Misses from Brechin pair Paul McLean and Guiliano Morena meant a 5-4 success for the visitors.

Dundee are the group leaders following their 4-0 victory against Stirling Albion at Forthbank.