Airdrieonians v Peterhead

Airdrieonians v Peterhead

Airdrieonians 1 -1 Peterhead

Nov 13, 2022

A fine battling performance from Jim McInally’s Peterhead came within three minutes of three points at Airdrie however the Blue Toon had to settle for a 1-1 draw. Jason Brown’s first half header was on course to secure a win however Lewis Jamieson made the most of a slip by Danny Strachan to roll a shot past the impressive Tom Ritchie and restore parity.

Manager McInally brought Andrew McDonald back into the starting line-up in place of injured Birthday Boy Enock Walusimbi with Julien Carre and Andrew McCarthy also playing from the first whistle at the expense of Conor O’Keefe and the now departed Florent Hoti. The Diamonds tried their luck through Justin Devenny and Callum Smith early on however Tom Ritchie stood firm. Jason Brown was booked after six minutes for a foul with Ritchie clutching Smith’s dead-ball under his bar. Peterhead showed their attacking intent before ten minutes had been played when Michael Hewitt burst clear however his parting shot was deflected wide by Craig Watson. Jamieson tried a cheeky back-heel on 12 minutes however it was blocked with Calum Gallagher’s follow-up meeting the same fate. Four minutes later Ryan Dow looked to have edged Peterhead in front only for an offside flag to cut short the celebrations.

Ritchie was again involved midway through the first half when he pushed out a Cammy Ballantyne drive from an angle before dealing with a second effort from the former Montrose man. Danny Strachan popped up in the Airdrie box on 27 minutes and he forced Dean Lyness into a save from his header. On 33 minutes Peterhead took the lead with a well-worked training ground move when Carre sent a corner to the back post where Jack Wilkie nodded it back and Jason Brown was perfectly placed a couple of yards out to nod in. It looked like 1-0 would become 2-0 within a minute as Hewitt was played through on goal however the on-loan Ayr man was out of luck as his shot was deflected onto a post. As Airdrie looked to hit back their player-manager Rhys McCabe fired for goal from a free-kick that Ritchie touched onto the woodwork. Four minutes from the break Wilkie did well to nick the ball off Jamieson’s toes with Peterhead dealing with the resultant corner to go in at the interval ahead.

The hosts looked to get back on level terms quickly into the restart with Callum Gallagher nodding a Charlie Telfer corner just wide on 49 minutes. Euan Deveney curled wide shortly afterwards before another angled effort from Ballantyne whistled past. Airdrie continued to have the lion’s share of possession however McCarthy gave them a reminder of Peterhead’s threat with a 25 yarder that rippled into the side-netting.

Gallagher had a glimpse of goal 11 minutes from time when a cross was deflected into his path but the striker hooked his shot over the bar. A Callum Fordyce header landed on the top of the net on 87 minutes and just when Peterhead looked to have weathered the storm the hosts were generating an equaliser arrived. Gallagher got onto the end of a long ball and slipped a pass to Smith that Danny Strachan looked set to cut out however the full-back slipped and that allowed the Diamond to tee up Jamieson who rolled a shot into the far corner. Substitute O’Keefe had a late chance for the visitors however he fired over with Jason Brown ensuring that a point was saved when he threw himself at a Ballantyne shot to block it.

Peterhead – Ritchie, Danny Strachan, McDonald, Ryan Strachan, Jordon Brown, McCarthy (Gillies77), Hewitt, Carre, Wilkie, Jack Brown (McGale 90+2′), Dow (O’Keefe 68′)Unused substitutes – Asare, Scullion, Jordon Brown, Murray, Wood (G/k)

Montrose v Peterhead

Montrose v Peterhead

Montrose 3 Peterhead 0

Nov 6, 2022

Just in case anyone thought that the Gods of Football had thrown everything adverse it could at Peterhead this season up popped two own goals as the Blue Toon went down 3-0 at Montrose. Both sides cancelled each other out in the first half however unfortunate interventions from Ryan Strachan and David Wilson had the three points staying at Links Park before Matthew Wright tapped in a last minute third.
Julien Carre dropped out of manager Jim McInally’s starting XI due to suspension and Connor O’Keefe came in as a replacement as the Balmoor men looked to build on a solid display against Edinburgh City last time out. The visitors made a promising start with Matty Allan forced to concede a corner after two minutes however no danger threatened. Both teams were finding it hard to establish any attacking rhythm in the opening 15 minutes however former Peterhead favourite Rory McAllister brought out a save from Tom Ritchie after darting into the visitors’ box. McInally’s men took the game to the other end and O’Keefe forced Ross Sinclair into a save with a shot from the left-hand side of the box. On 19 minutes another former Peterhead player, Paul Watson, tried to catch Ritchie out with a long-range effort however his effort cleared the bar. McAllister had a shot blocked by team-mate Cammy Ballantyne before Jason Brown was booked on 25 minutes for what appeared to be time-wasting. Just before the half hour mark Montrose thought they had opened up the visiting defence when Graham Webster broke free only for an offside flag to halt his progress. Peterhead took the resultant free-kick quickly and worked their way to the edge of the home box where O’Keefe teed up Danny Strachan with Sinclair in a good position to save the wing-back’s driven effort. Ritchie made a smart stop from a Michael Gardyne shot before Peterhead broke rapidly to the other end on 38 minutes where Florent Hoti slipped a pass to O’Keefe and his cross looked perfect for Ryan Dow but Andrew Steeves intercepted to turn the ball behind. Five minutes from the break McAllister volleyed over with Michael Hewitt denied by Sinclair just before the whistle to signal the end of the first 45 minutes.
Montrose started the second half as the better side and after Watson had two attempts at the Peterhead goal Gardyne and Steeves combined on 54 minutes to create a chance for Ballantyne which the midfielder fired wide. Two minutes later the Gable Endies made the breakthrough when another cross from Steeves flicked off the head of Ryan Strachan and rolled past Ritchie. Andrew McCarthy was introduced for O’Keefe shortly afterwards and after Gardyne had fired an opening over Wilson came on for the booked Brown on 64 minutes. With 17 minutes left manager McInally looked to pep things up in attack by bringing on Jordon Brown for Jack Brown with the Blue Toon surviving a scare when McAllister found the net only to be judged offside. A second Peterhead player scored at the wrong end as Wilson just managed to beat Allan to a corner on 78 minutes only to see his header slip past Ritchie. That goal allowed Montrose to consolidate in defence and there was no way through for the visitors with a final goal coming just before the end when Craig Brown ran clear and unselfishly passed to fellow substitute Wright to tap in.
Peterhead – Ritchie, Walusimbi, Ryan Strachan, Jason Brown (Wilson 66), Danny Strachan, Hewitt, Hoti, Jack Brown (Jordon Brown 74), Wilkie, Dow, Dow O’Keefe (McCarthy 58) Unused substitutes – McDonald, Asare, Scullion, McGale, Murray, Wood (G/k).
Manager Jim McInally post-match –
Peterhead v F.C Edinburgh

Peterhead v F.C Edinburgh

Peterhead 1 FC Edinburgh 1

Oct 30, 2022

Further evidence that the rebuilt Blue Toon are knitting together was seen at Balmoor where Jim McInally’s side played out a 1-1 draw with second top FC Edinburgh. Jack Brown fired the hosts in front early in the second half however the loss of Julien Carre to a red card was quickly followed by an equaliser and Peterhead had to settle for a point on a day when their display probably merited three.
Manager McInally again showed his desire to get the right mix on the pitch by handing a debut to free agent Florent Hoti as a trialist and there was also the welcome sight of the 2021/22 Players’ Player of the Season, Andrew McCarthy in the match day squad for the first time in this campaign. Max Gillies was also back with the on-loan Queen’s Park youngster sitting alongside McCarthy on the bench as well as David Wilson, who made way for a fully-fit again Ryan Strachan, and Conor O’Keefe who was replaced in the starting line-up by Hoti. Former Dundee United man Hoti was handed a midfield role and that allowed Jack Brown to be deployed as a second striker alongside Ryan Dow to good effect. Jack Wilkie had the first glimpse of goal in the game however his effort from the edge of the Edinburgh box on three minutes rose high over. The visitors had an opening five minutes later when Ouzy See was picked out in front of Tom Ritchie’s goal with the striker thankfully volleying over. On 17 minutes Peterhead almost opened the scoring – twice. A Dow pass released Hoti and his stinging drive forced a fine save from Robbie Mutch at the expense of a corner. Hoti took the dead-ball and Ryan Strachan’s close-range header looked net bound however it flashed just wide. Ten minutes later Hoti tried his luck from a direct free-kick which Mutch was able to watch fly past his goal. City had their best moment of the opening half on 40 minutes when Innes Murray fired for goal from 22 yards out with the post coming to Ritchie’s and Peterhead’s rescue. Three minutes into the restart Jack Brown almost found the net from a tight angle however Mutch produced a super stop. The Peterhead attacker did however come out on top against Mutch on 54 minutes when Dow picked him out with a precise through ball and the former Rothes attacker showed nerves of steel to slot home. Hoti was just off-target when he tried to add a quick-fire second with a shot from 16 yards with the Trialist suffering the same fate with another drive shortly afterwards. Carre was booked midway through the second period for a foul on Murray and, after Ritchie made a stop from a Liam Fontaine header, Carre unfortunately picked up a second yellow after being penalised for a challenge on the same player. Manager McInally looked to reshuffle his team and McCarthy was brought on for goal-scorer Brown however before the change could make an impact Edinburgh equalised on 76 minutes. Ritchie’s punch out from a cross landed at the feet of Danny Handling and he fired through a forest of legs to find the net. Despite their numerical handicap the hosts’ Jason Brown ventured forward for a pop at goal with five minutes left with his shot just going over. A late effort from Handling did likewise before Michael Hewitt came close to finding a winner for the ten men with a shot from 16 yards.
Peterhead – Ritchie, Walusimbi, Ryan Strachan, Jason Brown, Danny Strachan, Hewitt, Carre, Wilkie, Hoti (O’Keefe 88), Jack Brown (McCarthy 73), Dow
Unused Substitutes – Gillies, Scullion, Wilson, Jordon Brown, Murray, Wood (G/k)
Manager Jim McInally Post-match –
Andrew McCarthy Post-match –