Stirling Albion v Peterhead

Stirling Albion 3 Peterhead 1 Match Report
Peterhead’s Premier Sports Cup campaign ended in a 3-1 defeat from Stirling Albion at Forthbank in a game that the Blue Toons looked fragile at defending set-pieces.
Lenny Wilson returned to action between the sticks with Danny Strachan, Derryn Kesson and Jordon Brown also involved form the start with goalkeeper Brett Long, Lyall Cameron and Simon Ferry moving to the bench and Russell McLean dropping out due to a ban.
The game started in quick fashion with the hosts’ Dale Carrick having a header saved by Wilson in the first minute and Peterhead replying with a Jordon Brown header that crept over the bar from a free kick after Niah Payne had been fouled.
The pace remained fast and there two goals scored in a minute with Stirling taken the lead on six minutes and the visitors replying a minute later.
Albion opened the scoring with a close range header from Jordan McGregor following a Jack Leitch cross from a corner however Peterhead were not behind for long.
Hamish Ritchie darted into the home box where he was fouled by Adam Cummins and Scott Brown did an immaculate job from the spot.
Parity was not held for long as Stirling grabbed a second goal on 12 minutes and again it came from a corner. Nathan Flanagan provided the cross this time with Martin McNiff providing the finish from six yards out.
Flanagan had a shot blocked before Peterhead threatened a second equaliser on 25 minutes when Scott Brown let fly from a free-kick however his effort was just off target.
Jordon Brown was next to have a go when he fired a shot goalward from the edge of the Stirling box on 32 minutes however his effort also failed to trouble Blair Currie.
The pace finally began to slow down with just one further opening created before the half-time whistle with Cummins going close for the hosts with a right foot drive however Wilson was able to watch it clear his goal.
When the teams re-emerged for the second half it was felt that the next goal was going to be crucial and disappointingly for Peterhead when it came within two minutes of the restart it made the score-line 3-1.
To rub salt into the Blue Toon wounds it was a former player who grabbed it with Jack Leitch drilling in from the edge of the box.
Peterhead tried to hit back quickly and Jordon Brown had a header saved before sending a shot over Currie’s goal.
Stirling weathered that flurry and Currie stood firm to hold a drive from Ryan Conroy with 12 minutes left before Flanagan threatened again at the other end with Wilson forced into a smart stop.
Substitute Derek Lyle had a late chance to set up a grandstand finish however he fired wide of the Stirling goal.
When the final whistle sounded Stirling had secured second place in the group however their 8 point total was not enough for them to progress with Peterhead finishing on the same three point mark as Cove Rangers.
Peterhead – Wilson, Mulligan, Conroy, McDonald, Jason Brown (Mushanhu 77), Kesson (Lyle 59), Ritchie, S Brown, Payne, Strachan, Jordon Brown (Cameron 60)
Unused substitutes – Long, Ferry, Cook

Peterhead v Cove Rangers

Peterhead 3 Cove Rangers 1 – The Blue Toon show their attacking bite

Jul 17, 2021

Peterhead enjoyed their first success of the season with visitors Cove Rangers seen off 3-1 in a Premier Sports Group game.

Scott Brown opened the scoring early for the Blue Toon and the Balmoor men led at the break after Lyall Cameron found the net after Mitch Megginson had levelled. Russell McLean grabbed the first goal following his summer move to the club to secure a 3-1 success.

Peterhead manager Jim McInally restored Simon Ferry, McLean, Cameron and Niah Payne to the starting line-up after substitute roles in midweek. Andrew McCarthy remained unavailable due to a hamstring issue with Alan Cook, Jordon Brown, Derryn Kesson and Derek Lyle dropping to the bench.

The Blue Toon got off to a fantastic start with skipper Scott Brown finding the net after just 3 minutes with a trademark thumping right foot shot.

Cameron had a sight of goal eight minutes later however Stuart McKenzie was equal to it and Cove made the most of that save by grabbing an equaliser a minute later when Mitch Megginson stabbed in a cross from Rory McAllister.

Peterhead looked to re-establish their lead quickly and Payne fired for goal on 16 minutes however again McKenzie was able to save.

The game tightened up for a spell however it opened up again five minutes from half-time when Cove’s Robbie Leitch sent a well-struck drive towards goal however Brett Long was able to keep the ball out.

The hosts did get their noses in front for a second time a minute from the break when Payne teed up Cameron at the edge of the box and the on-loan Dundee youngster showed the same fine form he did last season by cracking home a shot.

Cove brought on the experienced Fraser Fyvie as well as Harry Milne at the break and the changes worked initially as they had the better of the opening exchanges of the second half.

However Peterhead worked hard to get back on top and after winning a corner McLean forced another flag-kick McKenzie had to move smartly to keep out a header from the attacker.

McLean was not to be denied and on 55 minutes the towering hit-man grabbed his first goal since returning from his travels when he cracked in a right foot shot.

The visitors looked to hit back and Megginson had a shot blocked before McAllister and Scott Ross had attempts to score against their former club.

McAllister was denied by Long as the Aberdeen side kept on pressing Morgyn Neill sent a header wide.

With seven minutes left Jadel Mushanu came off the bench to make his debut when he replaced  Cameron and the defender helped ensure that the game was closed out with little danger threatening the home goal/

Long, Mulligan (Strachan 63), Conroy, McDonald, Jason Brown, Ferry (Lyle 74), Ritchie, S Brown, McLean (Kesson 74), Cameron (Mushanuat 83), Payne (Jordon Brown 63)

Unused substitutes – Wilson (G/k), Cook

Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Peterhead

Inverness Caledonian Thistle 2 Peterhead 0

Jul 13, 2021

Peterhead went down 2-0 at Inverness Caledonian Thistle in their second Group game of the Premier Sports Cup. The game was goalless at half-time however goals early in the second half from Manny Duku and Aaron Doran saw the Highlanders triumph.

Balmoor boss Jim McInally freshened up his side following Saturday’s defeat by the same score-line from Hearts by making seven changes with Brett Long given a debut in goals, Jason Brown returning to a defensive role after a ban and captain Scott Brown also coming back to action after suspension with Alan Cook, Jordon Brown, Derryn Kesson and Derek Lyle also starting.

New recruit Jadel Mushanu was on the bench following the completion of his move from City of Liverpool FC.

The Blue Toon started well with Lyle and Jordon Brown threatening however Doran had the first real opening with a shot that was dealt with by Long on 14 minutes.

Shortly afterwards recent Inverness signing Duku had a shot blocked and former Peterhead front-man Shane Sutherland fired the loose ball across the face of the visitors’ goal.

Long made another smart stop from Doran before Peterhead threatened again on the half hour mark with a free-kick from Ryan Conroy that was looking for a touch from a colleague.

Caley’s Sean Welsh headed over from close range four minutes later with team-mate Tom Walsh and Duku also failing to find the net before the break.

The visiting side’s hopes of a shock took a dent on 52 minutes when Walsh found Duku and the striker cracked home.

Peterhead looked to hit back however they fell further behind four minutes later when Doran finally found a way past Long with the Irishman shooting home from 25 yards.

The Blue Toon rallied and enjoyed the best of the closing stages but they were denied the goal their play deserved with substitute Russell Mclean having a header saved by Mark Ridgers and then seeing a shot from a tight angle just clear the bar.

Peterhead – Long, Mulligan, McDonald, Jason Brown, Conroy, Scott Brown, Kesson (Cameron 46), Jordon Brown (Payne 55), Ritchie (Strachan 86), Cook (Ferry 55), Lyle (McLean 55)

Unused substitutes – Mushanu, Wilson (G/k)