Peterhead v Clyde

Peterhead v Clyde

Peterhead 3 Clyde 2 – Blue Toon bounce back as McCarthy breaks his duck

Sep 11, 2021

Peterhead 3 Clyde 2


Peterhead picked up their second win of the season with a 3-2 success over Clyde at Balmoor with all the goals coming in the first half. The Blue Toon went into the game at the foot of the table however they came out determined to change that with manager Jim McInally making a number of changes following last weekend’s SPFL Trust Trophy defeat from East Fife.

Brett Long returned to goalkeeping duty with Josh Mulligan, Danny Strachan, Hamish Ritchie and Simon Ferry also starting against a Bully Wee side in confident mood after defeating Cove Rangers a fortnight ago.

Manager McInally had asked his players to play themselves into the game however they did even better than that by being on the front foot with Russell McLean going close with a shot after just two minutes.

The bright start was rewarded with a goal and everyone at the club was delighted at the goalscorer. Clyde’s debutant goalkeeper Neil Parry made a fantastic stop to keep out a close range Derek Lyle header and as Peterhead kept up the pressure Parry produced a wonder stop to turn away a header from Andrew McCarthy.

ANDY MCCARTHY – Now a Goalscorer


The hosts refused to give up and after Clyde had temporarily ended the danger Ritchie was released on the left and his low cross from the left was turned in by McCarthy from three yards out. It was McCarthy’s first ever senior goal and the cheers to mark it were head far from the north-east with the 22 year old’s playing colleagues, friends and family now unsure what to tease him about!

Unfortunately the good feeling of being ahead only lasted four minutes with Clyde drawing level through David Goodwillie’s expertly taken penalty. It looked a soft award as Mulligan challenged the one-time Scotland man however that did not trouble Goodwillie as he slotted past Long.

There were fears that this set-back could set home nerves jangling however on 18 minutes Ritchie danced his way in from the right wing and McCarthy continued the dance by side-stepping a couple of challenges and teeing up skipper Scott Brown to slam home a shot from the edge of the box.

A one goal advantage became a two goal advantage a minute later with a wonderfully worked goal. After a bout of possession and switching the play from side to side Ryan Conroy was set free on the left. His low cross picked out Russell McLean and ‘Rusty’ did the rest when he took a touch and slammed home.

It was a great 60 seconds for Peterhead and the celebrations marked the sense of relief after recent frustrations.

Clyde made two substitutions in a bid to change the flow of the game and the moves worked with Goodwillie grabbing a second goal four minutes from half-time. One of the replacements Robert Jones sent a header against the woodwork and as the ball bounced around the home box Goodwillie dived to head in via the underside of the bar.

The half-time whistle was sounded with home fans concerned that their side’s display had only secured a one goal advantage and fears that nerves would be tested in the second 45 minutes.

Goodwillie and Ross Cunningham had openings early in the second half however Long was equal to them with Peterhead striker denied a fourth goal when Parry denied him in a one on one situation.

Peterhead, despite losing McCarthy to injury, were dealing with everything Clyde were throwing at them however a Goodwillie drive that flashed wide and another effort from Jones gave them a reminder that the game was not won.

An exhausted Ferry went off with 15 minutes to go however his replacement Alan Cook helped keep things tight at the back. A Billy Mortimer cross caused some panic however Long was not called into action



Peterhead – Long, Mulligan, McDonald, McCarthy (Cameron 65), Strachan, Ritchie, Scott Brown, Ferry (Cook 75) Conroy, Lyle (Payne 65), McLean

Unused substitutes – Kesson, Musanhu, Wilson

Peterhead v Airdrieonians

Peterhead 2 Airdrie 3
Peterhead 2 Airdrie 3
Peterhead manager Jim McInally was not letting a late comeback mask a disappointing display from his side as they went down 3-2 at home to Airdrie.
A brace from Rhys McCabe and a goal from Calum Gallagher had the Diamonds firmly in control before a rally saw Scott Brown and Russell McLean netting for the Blue Toon with Jim saying: “I am not taking a lot of comfort from the late goals. We were well beaten and paid a heavy price for starting both halves in far too slow a fashion.”
The Blue Toon started with Derek Lyle upfront in place of Russell McLean who had picked up a knock with Simon Ferry returning from injury to take the place of Andy McCarthy who has been suffering from a sickness bug this week.
The Diamonds advised that their squad had been hit by positive Covid cases however their line-up was still strong and full of well-known names however they were only able to list four substitutes.
It was the visitors who took charge early with home goalkeeper Brett Long excelling on seven minutes when he blocked an effort from Gabby McGill and then immediately saved Dylan Easton’s follow up.
As Airdrie kept on pushing Long kept his goal intact again by leaping to turn away a close range header from Easton however the visitors were not denied for much longer.
The opener came on 24 minutes when McCabe got the better of Long by curling home directly from a free-kick. Two minutes later it was almost two when Adam Frizzell broke free however his parting shot clipped a post on its way past.
Peterhead threatened for the first time on 28 minutes when Derek Lyle rose high to send a header goalward however Max Currie clutched the ball confidently.
Unfortunately the hosts could not build on that with Calum Gallagher having an effort from long distance saved by Long before the sides trooped off at the break with Airdrie winning 1-0.
Peterhead almost paid the price for a sluggish start to the second half with Frizzell driving a shot goalward to warm the hands of Long.
The shot-stopper denied Gallagher with his feet before Josh Mulligan looked to bring Peterhead alive with a header that floated wide.
McLean and Lyall Cameron were introduced as substitutes however before they could make an impact Airdrie went two up on 69 minutes from the penalty spot.
Ryan Conroy tripped Callum Smith in the box and McCabe showed his dead ball skills again by converting the resultant penalty.
It was 3-0 five minutes later when McGill picked up a through ball from Gallagher and skipped past Long before slotting in.
The points looked to have been lost however Peterhead skipper Scott Brown grabbed a goal back on 81 minutes with a fantastic volley from the edge of the box.
With 90 minutes gone it became 3-2 when McLean stabbed home from close range however a third goal proved beyond Peterhead.
Jim added: “I am pleased that the players hung in there and made the score-line a lot more respectable.”
Peterhead – Long, Mulligan, Conroy, McDonald, Jason Brown, Ferry (Jordon Brown 71), Ritchie (Cameron 65), S Brown, Lyle (McLean 65), Strachan, Payne
Unused substitutes – Wilson (G/k), Kesson, Musanhu

Montrose v Peterhead

Montrose and Webster continue their runs of success over Peterhead

Aug 14, 2021

Montrose           1            Peterhead          0

Peterhead’s miserable run of results against Montrose continued with the Links Park hosts securing a 1-0 win to extend their unbeaten run against Jim McInally’s side to eight games.

The winner came from Grahame Webster and the Gable Endie is unlikely to be receiving any Christmas cards from Peterhead this December as it was his third penalty goal against the Balmoor men in the last three games.

Danny Strachan and Josh Mulligan returned to the Peterhead team after playing against them in midweek for Dundee’s B team however the third Dark Blue loan player at the club, Lyall Cameron, was injured and missed out.

Brett Long who was an outfield substitute in the 2-1 SPFL Trust Trophy contest on Tuesday was back on goalkeeping duty, and he went on to star, with Andy McCarthy and Russell McLean stepping up from the bench to the starting XI.

The first chance came on 11 minutes when Webster fired for goal however Long dealt with it confidently and four minutes later the shot-stopper was equal to an effort on his goal from Milne.

Milne tried his luck from a free kick on 17 minutes however his dead-ball strike rose and cleared the bar.

As Montrose continued to probe Craig Johnston fired wide on a couple of occasions however the Blue Toon grew into the game and they created danger through former Montrose attacker McLean who rose to meet a cross however he headed over.

Montrose looked to get the second half off to a flyer and Blair Lyons set up a raid on the visitors’ goal that put Milne in a good position however Long tipped his drive wide.

Long was called into action again quickly and this time he conceded another corner by pushing a shot from Cammy Ballantyne over.

A goal for the hosts came on 51 minutes from the penalty spot after Webster ran across the path of Andrew McDonald and when he stumbled to the ground a spot-kick was awarded.

Unfortunately for Peterhead Webster did his usual immaculate job when he slotted home the spot-kick.

Hamish Ritchie who was having a quiet afternoon was replaced by Derek Lyle just after the hour mark and Jason Brown who had not long been booked was replaced by his brother Jordon.

Despite these attacking moves Montrose continued to press and a volley from Cammy

Ballantyne hit the underside of the bar and Milne saw his follow up effort cleared by a Peterhead head.

The changes started to make an impact and the final 10 minutes saw them push the hosts back and they almost grabbed a point with a fierce Niah Payne effort however Allan Fleming produced a fine stop.

Peterhead – Long, Strachan, Jason Brown (Jordon Brown 69), McDonald, Conroy, Mulligan, Scott Brown, McCarthy (Kesson 87), Ritchie (Lyle 62), Payne, McLean

Unused substitutes: Wilson, Mushanu