Peterhead v Dumbarton

Injury jinx strikes again however Blue Toon see off Dumbarton 1-0

Nov 21, 2020

Peterhead 1

Armour (4)

Dumbarton 0



Peterhead secured their first home league win of the season with a 1-0 win over Dumbarton with the Blue Toon having to dig deep to see off the Sons.

Everything in the Blue Toon garden looked rosy early on when Ben Armour scored however after injury problems again resurfaced with Simon Ferry and Isaac Layne going off the hosts had to dig deep to keep Dumbarton out.

Wise words from manager Jim McInally at half-time saw Peterhead enjoy the better of the chances in the second half however they kept everyone on their toes as they could not score a second goal but eventually a 1-0 win was secured.

Peterhead with Joshua Rae back in goal took the lead on four minutes when Andrew McCarthy worked his way free on the right and picked out Alan Cook with a cut-back. Cook’s shot was saved by Kevin Dabrowski however Armour was on hand to lash the loose ball home.

Ferry came off just before the quarter hour mark after suffering a hamstring injury and that saw Lyall Cameron come on and tactical changes took place with Kyle Bailey going into central defence and McCarthy moving to right back.

These changes unsettled Peterhead and Dumbarton took control and they could have equalised when Adam Frizzell sent over a cross that was begging to be put in with Jamie Wilson only inches away from converting.

Former Peterhead player Ryan McGeever headed a good chance over before the break however the half -time break allowed Peterhead the chance to regroup and the second half was a more even affair.

Steven Boyd missed a great chance to make it 2-0 and Rae did well to keep out a Sam Wardrop shot as Dumbarton pressed.

Injury issues surfaced again when Layne had to be replaced by Hashim Bakar after he looked to have suffered a knee problem with Derek Lyle failing to ease nerves when he headed over just before the end.

Nerves were finally soothed with the final whistle and Peterhead had picked up their second win of the season.

Peterhead – Rae, Freeman, Conroy, Ferry (Cameron 13), Bailey, Brown, McCarthy, Fraser, Boyd, Cook (Layne 65 (Bakar 86)), Armour (Lyle 65)

Unused substitutes – Kesson, Trialist, Wilson

Montrose v Peterhead

Montrose 3 Peterhead 2

Nov 7, 2020

Montrose 3

McLean (39, 46), Webster (71 pen)

Peterhead 2

Armour (12, 51)

Peterhead have now scored eight times on their last three visits to Montrose however they have still to pick up a point as a double from former striker Russell Mclean helped the Gable Endies to a 3-2 success.

The home side’s captain Paul Watson sent a header against a post on eight minutes with the Blue Toon making the most of that reprieve by opening the scoring four minutes later.

Ben Armour was the goalscorer with the striker keeping calm as he took advantage of an error by Iain Campbell to fire home his first goal of the season.

Goalkeeper Joshua Rae denied the hosts an equaliser on 35 minutes when he somehow managed to turn a close range shot from Lewis Milne over the bar following a bit of a scramble.

The Gable Endies did however restore parity six minutes from the break when McLean tapped in following good set-up play from Chris Mochrie.

Mochrie and Mclean combined again to put Montrose ahead less than a minute into the restart however Peterhead drew level on 51 minutes.

Armour was again the goalscorer as he pounced on a poor pass-back and rounded home goalkeeper Aaron Lennox before sliding the ball over the line.

Scott Brown came close to edging the visitors ahead for a second time with a fizzing drive midway through the second half however the game’s decisive moment came at the other end with 19 minutes left.

Kyle Bailey was judged to have fouled Craig Johnston and Graham Webster stepped up to smash home the resultant penalty.

Peterhead’s agony was not over as Jason Brown was sent off just before the final whistle when he picked up his second yellow card.

Peterhead – Rae, Freeman, Bailey, J Brown, Conroy (Kesson 78), Cameron, Fraser, McCarthy (Trialist 58), S Brown, Cook, Armour (Lyle 65)

Unused substitutes – Ferry, Boyd, Trialist, Wilson

Clyde v Peterhead

Peterhead 0 Cove Rangers 2

Clyde 0 Peterhead 2

Oct 31, 2020

Clyde                   0

Peterhead          2

Cameron (55),

S Brown (71)

Peterhead picked up their first win of the season with a 2-0 win at Clyde with the Blue Toon putting on a fine display on an awful day weather wise with Lyall Cameron and skipper Scott Brown finding the net.

Balmoor boss Jim McInally made one personnel change and several tactical ones after last weekend’s defeat from Cove Rangers with Gary Fraser coming in for Derek Lyle with Kieran Freeman and Kyle Bailey swapping defensive roles.

Joshua Rae had an early scare when a header from David Goodwillie changed direction in the wind several times with the shot-stopper eventually clutching the ball.

In another tactical switch Steven Boyd was pushed further forward and his pass to Andrew McCarthy opened up the Clyde defence on nine minutes and it looked like Peterhead would get the chance to grab their first goal of the league season from the penalty spot when the midfielder went tumbling in the box.

Referee Graham Grainger thought otherwise and waved played on.

Peterhead shrugged that disappointment off and despite the swirling wind their precise passing was beginning to cause Clyde problems with the midfield trio of Fraser, McCarthy and Brown providing great support to the busy Boyd and Alan Cook up front as well as making themselves available for their defenders.

A great example of the team ethic was seen on 35 minutes when Boyd charged forward and picked out Scott Brown and it looked like his low drive was going to nestle in the net however David Mitchell produced a fine save.

The Blue Toon went close again just before half-time when Brown sent a cross flashing the Clyde goal that Clyde defender Matthew Shiels had to turn away however his clearance flashed just past.

Former Scotland striker Goodwillie had been well-marshalled in the first half however at the start of the second he crashed to the ground as a corner came over with Grainger ruling out home hopes of a penalty this time.

Peterhead took the lead on 55 minutes when Ryan Conroy crossed from left to right and Cameron brought the ball under control before darting into the box and firing past Mitchell.

The second came on 71 minutes when Boyd’s dogged persistence saw off him take the ball off a home defender and work his way to the bye line where he looked up and spotted Brown who thumped a shot high into the net.

Boyd limped off to be replaced by trialist Hasim Bakar and it looked like the substitute had won a penalty when his cross was handled however again no spot-kick was awarded.

Peterhead – Rae, Freeman, Bailey, J BrownConroy, Cameron (Kesson 90+2), Fraser, McCarthy, S Brown, Cook (Lyle 75), Boyd (Trialist Bakar 80)

Unused substitutes – Armour, Wilson

Peterhead v Cove Rangers

Peterhead 0 Cove Rangers 2

Oct 24, 2020

Peterhead 0

Cove Rangers 2

Megginson (33)

Milne (55)

Blue Toon go down again after encouraging start

Peterhead started their second League 1 game of the season in the same positive manner that they began their first and unfortunately for the Blue Toon for the second week running they were unable to make a breakthrough and lost 2-0.

Jim McInally’s side that was missing the injured Gary Mackenzie, Simon Ferry, Ben Armour and Josh Mulligan as well as Gary Fraser who was self-isolating started brightly with Steven Boyd bursting through however the striker was denied by Stuart McKenzie.

With the wind behind them Peterhead carried on taking the game to their visitors and Cove goalkeeper McKenzie produced a fine stop to keep out an fierce Alan Cook effort.

Peterhead goalkeeper Joshua Rae was under-pressure from a Jamie Masson cross however he tipped it onto the woodwork and the danger was cleared.

Ryan Conroy almost provided the lead Peterhead craved directly from a free-kick on 25 minutes however his effort wa stipped over.

Like last weekend at Airdrie Peterhead fell behind before the break with the visitors taking the lead on 33 minutes. it was Cove captain Mitch Megginson that broke the deadlock when he turned his marker at the edge of the box and sent a shot past Rae.

Cove took the game further out of their hosts’ reach eight minutes into the restart when the home defence failed to clear snf Megginson picked out Harry Milne who drilled home.

Derek Lyle was withdrawn and with Layne not risked Derryn Kesson came on to form a partnership with Lyall Cameron up front and the move almost paid off.

Kesson looked to have pulled a goal back for the hosts with a header however Cove scrambled clear and the visitors saw the game out to win 2-0.

Peterhead – Rae, Freeman, Bailey, Brown, Conroy, Cameron, McCarthy, S Brown, Cook, Boyd, Lyle (Kesson 66)Unused substitute – Layne, Wilson

Airdrieonians v Peterhead

Pleasure of Tannadice replaced with pain of Airdrie

Oct 17, 2020

What a difference a week makes!

Airdrie 2

Carrick (43pen),

Fordyce (71)

Peterhead 0

Last Saturday everyone of a Blue Toon persuasion was beaming after a 1-0 win at Dundee United in the Betfred Cup however a week later everyone is winching at the injuries that affected Jim McInally’s side as they went down 2-0 at Airdrie in their first League 1 game of the new season.

Josh Mulligan was already missing due an ankle knock picked up on his debut at Tannadice and Gary Fraser was isolating on the instruction of the Test and Protect Coronavirus Operation and the by the time the 90 minutes were up in Lanarkshire Simon Ferry and Isaac layne were limping and Gary Mackenzie had suffered a head-knock.

Peterhead were the better side in the opening minutes with Andrew McCarthy dominating the midfield and Layne keeping the home defence on their toes as he constantly looked to get in behind them.

Layne had the first opening on 14 minutes when he cleared two challenges on the edge of the Diamonds’ box to get a glimpse of goal however he sent his shot whistling over.

A minute later McCarthy, who had been fouled four times already, picked out Jason Brown with a cross to the back post however the defender sent his header over.

As the Blue Toon continued on top Simon Ferry looked to start an attacking move on 30 minutes however his cross-field pass was cut out. Airdrie darted forward as a result however Ferry took it upon himself to nullify the danger and raced back 30 yards to block out a cross.

Ferry’s desire came at the price as he had to limp off with a suspected hamstring injury with Alan Cook coming on as his replacement.

The break in play disrupted Peterhead’s rhythm and Airdrie sensed an opportunity to take control. Dale Carrick began to dominate on the left and the striker won a penalty on 43 minutes when Kyle Bailey slipped when making a tackle and Carrick hit the artificial turf.

Referee Barry Cook, who yellow-carded both managers for comments made during the first half, pointed to the spot and Carrick dusted himself down and sent Joshua Rae the wrong way from 12 yards out.

Peterhead regrouped during the break and came out determined to get level in the second 45 minutes. Airdrie came out just as determined not to concede and a stalemate set in until Jim McInally’s side suffered further misfortune.

Mackenzie who had stood strong in the heart of the visiting defence was involved in a head-knock just before the hour mark and as he was being treated Layne indicated that he had to come off after banging his knee on the ground following a challenge.

Manager McInally also took off Steven Boyd who had been well-shacked all afternoon with Derryn Kesson, Lyall Cameron and Derek Lyle all coming on.

After taking time to adjust Peterhead carved out a chance to equalise five minutes later when Kieran Freeman was released on the right however the on-loan Dundee United youngster sent his cross high over the head of the unmarked Lyle who had pepped up the visiting attack after coming on.

With 20 minutes left Bailey failed to cut out a through ball and Calum Gallagher looked set to double Airdrie’s lead however a superb sliding tackle from Jason Brown ended the danger.

However from the resultant corner Callum Fordyce rose to head home and secure the three points for the hosts.


Rae, Bailey, J Brown, Mackenzie (Kesson 59), Conroy, Freeman, Ferry (Cook 32), S Brown, Boyd (Cameron 59), McCarthy, Layne (Lyle 58)

Unused substitutes – Wilson