Peterhead v Forfar

Frustration against Forfar – Peterhead 0 Forfar Athletic 1

Nov 28, 2020

Peterhead 0


Forfar Athletic 1

Barr (44)

Peterhead paid the price for an off-colour first half performance and a shot-shy second 45 minutes as Forfar left Balmoor with their first three points of the season after a 1-0 success.

Boosted by last Saturday’s win over Dumbarton the Blue Toon made only one change with the free from suspension Jordan Brown coming in for Simon Ferry who is still feeling the effects of a hamstring injury.

The Balmoor side started sluggishly and Scott Shepherd had the chance to fire Forfar ahead on 14 minutes however the Loons striker slipped his shot well past.

Home skipper Scott Brown tried to lift his side five minutes later with a powerful drive however his shot cleared the bar. As Peterhead tried to play themselves into that Steven Boyd created an opening for Ben Armour on the half hour mark, however the striker who grabbed the winner last weekend was off target.

Forfar opened the scoring a minute from half-time when a breakaway caught out the home defence and Daniel Scally picked out the unmarked Bobby Barr with a cross and the experienced wide-man headed past Joshua Rae

Gary Mackenzie was brought on for Kyle Bailey at the break and as Peterhead dominated territoriality Ryan Conroy curled a free-kick wide.

Mackenzie sent a header straight at Forfar shot-stopper Marc McCallum with the big defender poking another chance midway through the second 45 minutes.

Alan Cook and Derek Lyle were brought on in a bid to make a breakthrough however no further clear cut chances were created to leave Peterhead boss Jim McInally saying: “We paid the price for not being near our best in the first half.”


Peterhead – Rae, Bailey (MacKenzie 46), J Brown, Freeman, Conroy, Cameron, S Brown, Fraser (Cook 61), McCarthy (Lyle 62), Boyd, Armour

Unused substitutes – Kesson, Bakar, Wilson

Peterhead v Dumbarton

Injury jinx strikes again however Blue Toon see off Dumbarton 1-0

Nov 21, 2020

Peterhead 1

Armour (4)

Dumbarton 0



Peterhead secured their first home league win of the season with a 1-0 win over Dumbarton with the Blue Toon having to dig deep to see off the Sons.

Everything in the Blue Toon garden looked rosy early on when Ben Armour scored however after injury problems again resurfaced with Simon Ferry and Isaac Layne going off the hosts had to dig deep to keep Dumbarton out.

Wise words from manager Jim McInally at half-time saw Peterhead enjoy the better of the chances in the second half however they kept everyone on their toes as they could not score a second goal but eventually a 1-0 win was secured.

Peterhead with Joshua Rae back in goal took the lead on four minutes when Andrew McCarthy worked his way free on the right and picked out Alan Cook with a cut-back. Cook’s shot was saved by Kevin Dabrowski however Armour was on hand to lash the loose ball home.

Ferry came off just before the quarter hour mark after suffering a hamstring injury and that saw Lyall Cameron come on and tactical changes took place with Kyle Bailey going into central defence and McCarthy moving to right back.

These changes unsettled Peterhead and Dumbarton took control and they could have equalised when Adam Frizzell sent over a cross that was begging to be put in with Jamie Wilson only inches away from converting.

Former Peterhead player Ryan McGeever headed a good chance over before the break however the half -time break allowed Peterhead the chance to regroup and the second half was a more even affair.

Steven Boyd missed a great chance to make it 2-0 and Rae did well to keep out a Sam Wardrop shot as Dumbarton pressed.

Injury issues surfaced again when Layne had to be replaced by Hashim Bakar after he looked to have suffered a knee problem with Derek Lyle failing to ease nerves when he headed over just before the end.

Nerves were finally soothed with the final whistle and Peterhead had picked up their second win of the season.

Peterhead – Rae, Freeman, Conroy, Ferry (Cameron 13), Bailey, Brown, McCarthy, Fraser, Boyd, Cook (Layne 65 (Bakar 86)), Armour (Lyle 65)

Unused substitutes – Kesson, Trialist, Wilson

Peterhead v St Johnstone

Betfred Cup run comes to an end

Nov 14, 2020

Peterhead          1

Rooney (78og)

St Johnstone      3

May (49pen, 60pen)

Kane (77)


Peterhead’s Betfred Cup journey came to an end after a 3-1 defeat from visitors St Johnstone who put in a strong second half performance to ensure that they finished at the top of Group C.

Stevie May grabbed two penalties for his side, with his first spot-kick given for an offence that went unseen by everyone apart from referee Steven Anderson, with the second a more obvious award.

Chris Kane added a third before Peterhead responded instantly through an own goal

The blustery conditions meant that neither side got into any rhythm in the early stages with the first real opening coming in 20 minutes for the Perth side.

May darted down the left after a Guy Melamed pass had sliced open the home defence however Lenny Wilson ended the danger by getting down low to cut out the former Aberdeen player’s cross.

A tug on Steven Boyd’s jersey five minutes later gave Peterhead a free-kick in a dangerous position however Gary Fraser’s effort cleared Zander Clark’s bar without worrying the visiting goalkeeper.

Craig Conway created space 25 yards from goal on 27 minutes however his parting shot matched Fraser’s.

The hosts suffered a blow when Ben Armour had to come off just before the half hour with Alan Cook coming on in his place.

Peterhead should have been behind at the break after Scott Brown had given away a free-kick just outside the right-hand side of the home box. Conway flighted the dead ball to the back post where Shaun Rooney was waiting however the full-back steered his effort wide.

The second half got off to the worst possible start with St Johnstone awarded a penalty on 49 minutes after whistler Anderson spotted an infringement in the box that no-one in the Perth camp had claimed for. That did not trouble May who drilled home from 12 yards.

Freeman did well to stop a St Johnstone counter-attack on the hour mark however as the visitors kept up the pressure the on-loan Dundee United youngster tripped May and referee Anderson again pointed to the spot.

May did another immaculate job from the spot as Saints moved two ahead with Peterhead manager Jim McInally responding by taking off defender Jason Brown and bringing on striker Derek Lyle.

A third goal arrived on 77 minutes when Andrew McCarthy lost possession 30 yards from goal and substitute Callum Hendry released fellow replacement Chris Kane who drilled under Wilson at his near post.

McCarthy atoned for his error in the best possible way by getting free on the right and his low cross was turned into his own net by Rooney under pressure from Lyle.

Scott Brown slipped a late effort past a post as Peterhead continued to try and reduce the deficit.

Peterhead – Wilson, Bailey, Freeman, J Brown (Lyle 63), Conroy, Ferry, S Brown, Fraser (Cameron 68), McCarthy, Boyd, Armour (Cook 29)

Unused substitutes –Kesson, Bakar

Kelty Hearts v Peterhead

Peterhead claim bonus point at Kelty
Nov 10, 2020
Kelty Hearts 1
Stevenson (66)
Fraser (49)
Peterhead win 5-3 on penalties
Peterhead came away from New Central Park with two points thanks to a 5-3 penalty kick success over Lowland League Champions Kelty Hearts following a 1-1 draw between the sides.
It was a game that Peterhead could have won in the second half with a strong performance or lost after being second best in the first half or indeed only picked up one point had captain Scott Brown, Gary Fraser, Steven Boyd, Derek Lyle and Ryan Conroy not kept their nerve in the shoot-out with Kelty skipper Michael Tider erring with the Fife side’s first spot-kick when he sent it against the woodwork.
Goalkeeper Joshua Rae dropped out after falling ill with Lenny Wilson making his debut after joining in the summer of 2019 with Kelty having three former Blue Toon players – Jamie Stevenson, Paddy Boyle and Scott Hooper in their starting line-up with a fourth former team-mate Craig Reid on the bench.
Lyall Cameron was given an early opportunity when Kelty keeper Darren Jamieson failed to clear correctly however Hooper got back to stop the danger.
Boyle fired over the Peterhead bar before Wilson made a smart stop from another ex-team-mate Jamie Stevenson who tried his luck from the edge of the box.
The hosts had been the better side in the first half and Peterhead manager reacted to this at the break by taking off Cameron and Alan Cook and replacing them with Derek Lyle and Steven Boyd.
The changes made an instant impact with the Balmoor men grabbing the lead four minutes into the restart in spectacular fashion with Gary Fraser thundering home a shot from 25 yards.
Ben Armour was denied a second for the visitors by Jamieson however Kelty came close to a leveller when Hooper became the third former blue and white player to go close when he headed towards goal.
It looked like Boyd would settle Peterhead nerves and secure the three points with 18 minutes left when he ran clear on goal however the striker slipped his effort just wide of goal.
Kelty took full advantage of that reprieve with Stevenson hitting a trademark free-kick from long distance and Wilson let his effort squirm through his hands and legs to set up the penalty shoot-out.
Peterhead won the extra point to set up a winner takes all affair with St Johnstone on Saturday.
Peterhead – Wilson, Bailey, Freeman, Brown, Conroy, Cameron (Boyd 46), McCarthy (Bakar 81), Fraser, Brown, Cook (Lyle 46), Armour (Ferry 63)
Unused substitutes – Kesson

Montrose v Peterhead

Montrose 3 Peterhead 2

Nov 7, 2020

Montrose 3

McLean (39, 46), Webster (71 pen)

Peterhead 2

Armour (12, 51)

Peterhead have now scored eight times on their last three visits to Montrose however they have still to pick up a point as a double from former striker Russell Mclean helped the Gable Endies to a 3-2 success.

The home side’s captain Paul Watson sent a header against a post on eight minutes with the Blue Toon making the most of that reprieve by opening the scoring four minutes later.

Ben Armour was the goalscorer with the striker keeping calm as he took advantage of an error by Iain Campbell to fire home his first goal of the season.

Goalkeeper Joshua Rae denied the hosts an equaliser on 35 minutes when he somehow managed to turn a close range shot from Lewis Milne over the bar following a bit of a scramble.

The Gable Endies did however restore parity six minutes from the break when McLean tapped in following good set-up play from Chris Mochrie.

Mochrie and Mclean combined again to put Montrose ahead less than a minute into the restart however Peterhead drew level on 51 minutes.

Armour was again the goalscorer as he pounced on a poor pass-back and rounded home goalkeeper Aaron Lennox before sliding the ball over the line.

Scott Brown came close to edging the visitors ahead for a second time with a fizzing drive midway through the second half however the game’s decisive moment came at the other end with 19 minutes left.

Kyle Bailey was judged to have fouled Craig Johnston and Graham Webster stepped up to smash home the resultant penalty.

Peterhead’s agony was not over as Jason Brown was sent off just before the final whistle when he picked up his second yellow card.

Peterhead – Rae, Freeman, Bailey, J Brown, Conroy (Kesson 78), Cameron, Fraser, McCarthy (Trialist 58), S Brown, Cook, Armour (Lyle 65)

Unused substitutes – Ferry, Boyd, Trialist, Wilson