Peterhead v Forfar

Peterhead 1 Forfar Athletic 2

May 1, 2021

Peterhead welcomed bottom of the table Forfar to Balmoor for what is the last home game of the season and it was a bitter-sweet afternoon for the Loons, who picked up the three points after two defensive calamities by the home side, only to find out they are relegated after Clyde defeated Dumbarton

Blue Toon manager Jim McInally freshened up his side following their 3-1 win at East Fife on Thursday with Joshua Rae returning to goalkeeping duties after a three game absence and Jason Brown is back after a suspension however midweek free-kick hero Andrew McDonald is banned. There are also changes in midfield with player/ coach Simon Ferry coming back in and Hamish Ritchie given another opportunity to impress with a new forward line also in place with Steven Boyd and Niah Payne starting.

Alan Cook made a welcome return to the substitutes’ bench after injury with Lenny Wilson, Derryn Kesson, Jordon Brown and Derek Lyle joining Cook after helping their side to victory in Fife.

Peterhead had the game’s first opening when Boyd and Andrew McCarthy exchanged passes at the edge of the Forfar box with Boyd cracking a low shot wide.

Two minutes later the hosts came close again when Kieran Freeman got down the left and fired a cross over that Payne dummied with Ritchie onto the ball on a flash however he hooked his effort past Marc McCallum’s post.

On nine minutes Forfar were almost gifted a goal when Jason Brown sent a pass-back to Joshua Rae from close to the half-way line. The shot-stopper allowed the ball to bounce in front of him before controlling it on his chest however the ball flashed past Rae but thankfully wide of goal.

The goalkeeper redeemed himself from the dead-ball with a fine leaping save to turn over Grant Anderson’s header.

Midway through the first half Boyd won the ball 40 yards from the Forfar goal and hared forward where he was supported by Payne and Ritchie. Boyd slipped the ball to Payne who in turn slipped Ritchie in on goal however he mis-controlled and the danger was over as the ball ran out for a shy.

The Blue Toon carved out another half-chance on 24 minutes when Scott Brown fed Boyd who spun away from his marker however McCallum got down to save the striker’s shot.

Forfar came close again on 29 minutes when Scott Shepherd wriggled clear of Kyle Bailey on the left hand side of the hosts’ box and sent a shot flashing past Rae however it came crashing box off a post.

The action moved back to the other end and Daniel Scally picked up a booking for pulling McCarthy back 30 yards from Forfar’s goal. Scott Brown took the free-kick and McCallum had to move sharpish to his right to push the ball away.

There was one more chance before the half-time whistle with Ritchie volleying goalward however McCallum dealt with it easily.


Peterhead 0 Forfar Athletic 0

The game moved from end to end without any real chances being created until McCarthy and Ritchie combined to send Scott Brown down the left. The Peterhead skipper skipped inside and darted past two defenders before cracking a shot at goal however the ball rose and cleared the bar.

Forfar, who benefitted from a bizarre own goal at Dumbarton recently, were gifted a goal again on 57 minutes from an opposing player. A long kick-out from McCallum was allowed to travel into the home half and Danny Strachan got his pass-back all wrong and lobbed the ball over the advancing Joshua Rae from 18 yards.

Four minutes later McCallum made a stunning stop to keep his goal intact when he kept out a close range Kieran Freeman effort however on 63 minutes Peterhead finally found a way past the shot-stopper.

Simon Ferry picked up a free-kick from the right and turned and slipped the ball to Scott Brown and he curled a first time effort high into the net from 20 yards.

Peterhead gave away another goal very easily with 12 minutes left when Scott Shepherd tapped in after Rae, under no pressure, had failed to gather a Jason Brown headed pass-back.

Forfar saw the game out without too many scares and whilst we are disappointed not to be facing our friends from Station Park when you consider how the three games have gone this season it may be good to have a break!


Rae, Strachan, Bailey (Cook 80), Jason Brown, Freeman, Ferry, Scott Brown, Ritchie Jordon Brown 65), McCarthy (Armour 76), Boyd (Kesson 65), Payne (McGrath 76)

Unused substitutes – Wilson (G/k), Lyle

Peterhead v Clyde

Peterhead 3 Clyde 0

Apr 24, 2021

Peterhead          3            Clyde    0

Peterhead picked up their best win of the season by seeing off Clyde 3-0 at Balmoor with skipper Scott Brown bagging a penalty and Hamish Ritchie helping himself to a brace.

The win puts League 1 safety within sight however a point is still required to ensure that everyone can sleep easy at night.

Manager Jim McInally gave Lenny Wilson the nod to start in goal with Kyle Bailey keeping his place in central defence after his display in the midweek win over Falkirk. Simon Ferry was giving a starting role in place of Jordon Brown who made the substitute’s bench.

The Blue Toon started sprightly and trickery from Steven Boyd saw the striker create an opening however he sent his shot over the bar.

Scott Brown curled a shot wide before Clyde threatened for the first time when David Goodwillie found Lewis Jamieson however Lenny Wilson was equal to his effort.

Hamish Ritchie looked to give the hosts the lead with a long-distance drive on 11 minutes however his shot flashed wide of David Mitchell’s goal.

Six minutes later Ritchie tried his luck from closer in however he was off-target again and as Peterhead continued to probe for an opening Boyd sent a free-kick over the bar before trying to catch Mitchell out from 40 yards however neither effort brought a breakthrough.

Former Peterhead defender Scott Rumsby met a Clyde corner on 31 minutes however his effort failed to trouble Wilson.

The teams trooped off goalless at the break however the opener came on 54 minutes from an unlikely source for Peterhead with Brown netting a spot-kick.

Andrew McCarthy earned it by working himself clear on the touchline and referee Reid pointed to the spot when Kevin Nicoll slid in late on the midfielder.

Captain Brown took responsibility and sent Mitchell one way and the ball the other to make it 1-0. The lead was doubled two minutes later when Jason Brown headed on a Kieran Freeman free-kick to Ritchie who took a touch before sliding the ball into the net.

Jason Brown was harshly booked on 61 minutes and that was to prove an expensive booking as just three minutes later the defender fouled Jamieson and was dismissed.

Manager McInally reshuffled his pack and took off McCarthy who had been booked earlier and brought on Andrew McDonald.

Ritchie ensured that Clyde could not build up a head of steam as they looked to get back into the game when he scored a delightful goal on 73 minutes. Craig Howie was short with a pass-back and Ritchie was onto the ball in a flash and he danced his way into the visitors box before firing in to seal the three points.

Peterhead – Wilson, Strachan, Jordon Brown, Bailey, Freeman, Ferry, Scott Brown, McCarthy (McDonald 65), Ritchie, Boyd (Jordon Brown 74), Payne (Lyle 80 )

Unused substitutes – Rae, Armour, Kesson, McGrath

Peterhead v Falkirk

Peterhead 1 Falkirk 0

Peterhead hosted a table-topping Falkirk in their last game of the reduced 18 game season and it was a fine night for the Blue Toon with Jason Brown’s late goal securing a 1-0 win.

Balmoor manager Jim McInally made several changes to the line-up that went down 2-1 at East Fife on Saturday with goalkeeper Lenny Wilson coming in for Joshua Rae, Kyle Bailey replacing the suspended Andrew MacDonald, Jordon Brown taking the place of player/ coach Simon Ferry in midfield with Niah Payne tasked with leading the attack instead of Derek Lyle.

With four minutes gone Hamish Ritchie sent a volley over from 8 yards after a quickly taken free-kick had released Payne and his cross had picked out the midfielder.

Falkirk raced to the other end and Morgaro Gomis sent an effort over Wilson’s bar.

On six minutes the visiting Scott Mercer broke into the home box and fired for goal and the hosts were glad to see the ball ripple into the side-netting.

Midway through the half a fine move started off by Andrew McCarthy gave Scott Brown a glimpse of goal from the edge of the box however his powerful effort was blocked at the expense of a corner.

On 27 minutes a scramble in the Falkirk box resulted in Jordon Brown getting a shot in on goal however Robbie Mutch was equal to his effort.

Eight minutes from the break Ritchie brought the ball down some 20 yards from the visitor’s goal however his lobbed effort was too straight at Mutch.

Mercer was booked for fouling Steven Boyd as he darted goalward with the Peterhead striker sending the resultant free-kick high over.

Peterhead had one more chance before the break when Scott Brown stepped up to hit a 25 yard free-kick however his effort crashed into the wall.

McInally’s side continued to impress in the second half with Ritchie firing wide after a corner and Jordon Brown having a shot blocked.

Kyle Bailey tried to help his striker’s out with a goal on 57 minutes however Mutch was more than equal to that effort.

On 65 minutes it looked like a deserved opener was on its way when a rapid counter-attack sent Scott Brown clear on the right hand side of the pitch however his shot hit the legs of Mutch.

Connor Sammon looked to sneak the visitors into the lead on 65 minutes with a raking low drive and Wilson, who was having a commanding night between the sticks, watched it carefully as it whistled past.

Peterhead refused to get frustrated at their lack of a breakthrough and their hopes of picking up a crucial three points increased 15 minutes from time when Gomis was dismissed. The Bairn had been booked for a foul on McCarthy early into the restart and when he took a deliberate tumble in the Peterhead half referee Duncan Williams produced a second yellow card for simulation.

The extra space generated by Gomis’ departure was used to great advantage by Peterhead with 10 minutes to go when local boy Danny Strachan picked up a free-kick some 40 yards from goal and sent a pass looping high towards the Falkirk goal which was perfect for Jason Brown to nip in and side-foot home to register his first goal of the season.

Despite what was at stake Peterhead refused to sit on their lead and Scott Brown had a drive at Mutch’s goal in the closing stages.

That went wide however the hosts saw things out to pick up a valuable three points to remain in seventh place some 12 points clear of bottom placed Forfar, four ahead of Dumbarton and three in front of Clyde.

Peterhead – Wilson, Strachan, Jason Brown, Freeman, Bailey, S Brown, Jordon Brown (Kesson 79), McCarthy, Ritchie, Boyd, Payne (McGrath 90)

Unused substitutes – Rae, Ferry, Armour, Lyle


Remaining fixtures


Saturday 24th v Clyde (h)

Thursday 29th v East fife (a)

Saturday 1st v Forfar (h)

Tuesday 4th v Dumbarton (a)

Peterhead v Partick Thistle

Peterhead 0 Partick Thistle 3

Apr 10, 2021

Peterhead went down 3-0 to visitors Partick Thistle with goals either side of half-time taking the game away from the hosts.

Manager Jim McInally made two starting changes to the side that drew 1-1 with Forfar Athletic on Tuesday night with Jordon Brown coming in for the suspended Andrew McCarthy and Niah Payne replaced Ben Armour.

The Blue Toon started brightly and won the game’s first corner on 5 minutes however the visiting defence stood firm and the danger was cleared.

Peterhead continued to press and looked set to take the lead on 13 minutes when Jordon Brown fired for goal however his effort took a deflection and whistled past a Thistle post. Ross Docherty was on the spot for the visitors to head the resultant corner away from goal.

The game began to have a more balanced feel with Docherty bringing a save out of Joshua Rae in the home goal just before the half hour mark.

Brian Graham sent a shot high over the home bar with Connor Murray denied by Rae as Thistle began to take charge and the Glasgow side grabbed the opener on 40 minutes.

Murray sent a low cross into the home box and Joe Cardle turned the ball home however Peterhead responded well to that set-back with Scott Brown going close to an equaliser before the break with a 25 yard free-kick.

Manager McInally was forced into making his second substitution at half-time with Simon Ferry joining Ryan Conroy in picking up a knock with Kieran McGrath coming on at the break to join up with Kyle Bailey who was brought on just before the half-time whistle.

A long clearance from Thistle goalkeeper Jamie Sneddon helped set up their second goal five minutes into the restart with Cardle released and his cross was perfect for Scott Tiffoney to tap in.

Just before the hour mark Rae got his fingertips onto a header from Brian Graham to prevent Thistle going further ahead however from the resultant corner the striker scored when he nodded in.

A stunned home side looked to get back into the game and Scott Brown went close with another free kick however the visitors saw the game out without too much threat on their goal with Zak Rudden going close to adding a fourth goal.

The defeat leaves Peterhead in seventh place nine points ahead of bottom side Forfar and four in front of second bottom Dumbarton with Ian McCall’s side moving up to third.


Peterhead – Rae, Freeman, Jason Brown, McDonald, Conroy (Bailey 42), Ritchie, Ferry (McGrath 46), S Brown, Jordon Brown (Armour) Payne (Lyle 66), Boyd (Kesson 72)

Unused substitutes – Strachan, Wilson (G/k),

Peterhead v Clyde

Peterhead 0 Clyde 2

Mar 30, 2021

Peterhead 0 Clyde 2

Peterhead were the better side against visitors Clyde for an hour of their match however the game turned on a wonder-strike from the visiting Craig Howie and the Bully Wee ended up with a 2-0 win after Ross Cunningham added a well-taken second.

Blue Toon manager Jim McInally made one change to his starting line up when Clyde came calling with Steven Boyd starting in place of Niah Payne.

Isaac Layne who was a substitute for Saturday’s 1-0 success at Dumbarton was on the bench for the Sons at Falkirk after agreeing a loan move to the Sons earlier in the day.

The first chance of the game came on 14 minutes when Ryan Conroy whipped in a free kick towards the Clyde goal however David Mitchell stretched to his left and pushed the ball past for a corner.

Andy McDonald reached the resultant flag kick however he sent his header wide.

With 27 minutes gone Clyde’s Lewis Jamieson had a glimpse of goal however he sent his shot high and wide.

Six minutes later trickery from Steven Boyd created danger deep in the visitors’ box and his deep cross picked out Kieran Freeman at the back post however the defender was unable to side-foot an effort on target and the ball was scrambled clear with Ben Armour firing a chance from the resultant corner wide.

At the start of the second half a long throw in released Armour and his looping shot was held at the second attempt by Mitchell.

Boyd was beavering away up front however he was unable to work himself into a shooting position and McDonald tried to help out with an ambitious effort from 30 yards however the visiting goal was not troubled.

The match turned in dramatic circumstances on 62 minutes when a long free kick from the half way line reached Craig Howie and the half-time substitute controlled the ball on his chest before cracking a ‘Goal of the Season’ contender past Joshua Rae.

It was 2-0 to Clyde 11 minutes later when Ally Love curled over a cross that picked out Ross Cunningham who deftly touched the ball past Rae and then slid it into an empty home net.

If Peterhead needed further confirmation that it was not going to be their night it came on 82 minutes when substitute Jordon Brown picked out fellow replacement Derek Lyle with a curling cross and Lyle’s header swept past Mitchell however it hit the post and bounced to safety.

Marc Lamont had a late chance to make it 3-0 when he flicked the ball past Rae however the goalkeeper won the race for the ball before it crossed the line.


Peterhead – Rae, Freeman (Lyle 76), McDonald, Jason Brown, Conroy, Ferry, S Brown, Ritchie (Kesson 76), Boyd (Jordon Brown 64), McCarthy, Armour (Payne 65)

Unused substitutes – Payne, Strachan, McGrath, Wilson (G/k), Bailey