Airdrieonians v Peterhead

Pleasure of Tannadice replaced with pain of Airdrie

Oct 17, 2020

What a difference a week makes!

Airdrie 2

Carrick (43pen),

Fordyce (71)

Peterhead 0

Last Saturday everyone of a Blue Toon persuasion was beaming after a 1-0 win at Dundee United in the Betfred Cup however a week later everyone is winching at the injuries that affected Jim McInally’s side as they went down 2-0 at Airdrie in their first League 1 game of the new season.

Josh Mulligan was already missing due an ankle knock picked up on his debut at Tannadice and Gary Fraser was isolating on the instruction of the Test and Protect Coronavirus Operation and the by the time the 90 minutes were up in Lanarkshire Simon Ferry and Isaac layne were limping and Gary Mackenzie had suffered a head-knock.

Peterhead were the better side in the opening minutes with Andrew McCarthy dominating the midfield and Layne keeping the home defence on their toes as he constantly looked to get in behind them.

Layne had the first opening on 14 minutes when he cleared two challenges on the edge of the Diamonds’ box to get a glimpse of goal however he sent his shot whistling over.

A minute later McCarthy, who had been fouled four times already, picked out Jason Brown with a cross to the back post however the defender sent his header over.

As the Blue Toon continued on top Simon Ferry looked to start an attacking move on 30 minutes however his cross-field pass was cut out. Airdrie darted forward as a result however Ferry took it upon himself to nullify the danger and raced back 30 yards to block out a cross.

Ferry’s desire came at the price as he had to limp off with a suspected hamstring injury with Alan Cook coming on as his replacement.

The break in play disrupted Peterhead’s rhythm and Airdrie sensed an opportunity to take control. Dale Carrick began to dominate on the left and the striker won a penalty on 43 minutes when Kyle Bailey slipped when making a tackle and Carrick hit the artificial turf.

Referee Barry Cook, who yellow-carded both managers for comments made during the first half, pointed to the spot and Carrick dusted himself down and sent Joshua Rae the wrong way from 12 yards out.

Peterhead regrouped during the break and came out determined to get level in the second 45 minutes. Airdrie came out just as determined not to concede and a stalemate set in until Jim McInally’s side suffered further misfortune.

Mackenzie who had stood strong in the heart of the visiting defence was involved in a head-knock just before the hour mark and as he was being treated Layne indicated that he had to come off after banging his knee on the ground following a challenge.

Manager McInally also took off Steven Boyd who had been well-shacked all afternoon with Derryn Kesson, Lyall Cameron and Derek Lyle all coming on.

After taking time to adjust Peterhead carved out a chance to equalise five minutes later when Kieran Freeman was released on the right however the on-loan Dundee United youngster sent his cross high over the head of the unmarked Lyle who had pepped up the visiting attack after coming on.

With 20 minutes left Bailey failed to cut out a through ball and Calum Gallagher looked set to double Airdrie’s lead however a superb sliding tackle from Jason Brown ended the danger.

However from the resultant corner Callum Fordyce rose to head home and secure the three points for the hosts.


Rae, Bailey, J Brown, Mackenzie (Kesson 59), Conroy, Freeman, Ferry (Cook 32), S Brown, Boyd (Cameron 59), McCarthy, Layne (Lyle 58)

Unused substitutes – Wilson

Airdrieonians v Peterhead

Airdrieonans       2

Gallagher (4)

Carrick (42pen)


Peterhead          1

S Brown (45+1)


Peterhead left Airdrie with nothing to show for their efforts after going down 2-1 to a Diamonds side that returned to the top of the table alongside Raith Rovers.

The Balmoor side were on the wrong side of two refereeing decisions that could have made all the difference as Jason Brown was pulled up for holding in the box in the first half and the illegal tackle on Jamie Stevenson late on was deemed to have taken place outside of the 18 yard area.

The game got off to a disappointing start for the Blue Toon as they fell behind after just four minutes.

Paddy Boyle headed a cross behind for a corner and from the resultant deadball Sean Crichton’s header was flicked on by Calum Gallagher and despite a frantic attempt by Greg Fleming the ball was judged to have just crept over the line.

The Blue Toon settled and by the time 15 minutes had been played their passing game had clicked into gear with Scott Brown having a shot from the edge of the box charged down after a fine move

Midway through the half Paddy Bole was released down the left and his cross picked out the in-rushing Jack Leitch however he sent his header over the bar.

Airdrie hit-back and Crichton was denied by the legs of Fleming with Kieran Millar sending a rebound effort dipping against the bar.

The Diamonds grabbed their second from the penalty spot three minutes from the break when Jason Brown was picked out for holding Crichton at a corner with Dale Carrick just beating Fleming from 12 yards.

Peterhead got back into things with the last kick of the first half when the ball broke to Scott Brown at the edge of the box and his powerful shot hit the underside of the bar and bounced back before hitting the woodwork again with the referee’s assistant eventually confirming that the ball had crossed the line.

On 55 minutes only the outstretched hand of David Hutton prevented Leitch from turning in a Rory McAllister cross and grabbing an equaliser.

Gary Fraser came on for Ryan Conroy on 67 minutes and the substitute was involved immediately when his free-kick picked out Jason Brown however the ball refused to settle down and give the defender a shot at goal.

Fraser looked to have grabbed a second for Peterhead on 77 minutes with a ferocious 30 yard free-kick however the ball whistled an inch past.

As Peterhead pressed for a deserved second goal Stevenson was pulled down an inch outside of the box according to referee Lloyd Wilson with three minutes to play.

Derek Lyle tapped the free-kick to McAllister and his superb curling effort looked in however it skimmed the bar and that was the last real opening.


Fleming, Ferguson, J Brown, Hooper, Boyle, Conroy (Fraser 67), Ferry, S Brown (Lyle 75), Leitch, McAllister, Smith (Stevenson)

Unused substitutes – Wilson (G/k), Eadie, Dunlop, Armour

Attendance 646